3.Project Turmoil and Unwanted Proximity

As the session ended, I stood up and prepared to leave.

"Miss Caswell, I need you to stay," he said through the tense atmosphere of the meeting.

"Yes sir, anything I can help with?" As everyone started to go, I asked a perplexed query.

"I need you to take Mr Browns Business project into your hands and maybe prepare ideas thoroughly in detail." He took his seat and asked me to join him with a hand motion.

Why does he have to be such a controlling man?

"But I had already rejected it since I am an imperfect candidate for it." Why is he doing this now? He was the reason I turned down the project in the first place. I do not comprehend him at all. Why does he want me to do it now? He was the one who initially underestimated me. True, I was clueless about this project, but I assured that I was confident in my ability to learn quickly. But he fully denied it. What is he getting out of me by executing such absurd acts now?

"Oh, no, you are perfect. Mr Brown wants you to take over the project." He reassured.

"I'm sorry, I won't be able to make it to the project as I'm already too occupied with the Hawthorne project." I observed a little change in his expression.

Maybe anger again? Disgusting. I could sense his gaze probing my soul, and his beautiful deep-set hazel eyes had turned dark and menacing.He rolled his eyes. He clinched his jaw and rose up, leaving me facing his back.

"Is it Davis?"

"Pardon?" I gave him a puzzled expression. What the hell is going on with Davis right now? Why would Davis not want me to work for Mr Brown ?

"Davis" He muttered.

"Yeah, I heard Mr. Davis' name perfectly! Mr Davis would be pleased if I took on a better assignment. When it comes to work, he is not a jealous man. He would undoubtedly cherish this news; in fact, he will be upset when he learns that I have rejected this proposition." I explained.

"Sometimes you just amaze me, but in a very bad way if you know what I mean, I just don't understand if you are actually this naive or it's all just an act, you just don't get the hint." He attempted a smile before shaking his head.

"I'm not naive. I can make sensible decisions. I've been selecting the best projects judiciously. How can you even use the word "naive" while describing me? With all of the work I've done for this organization, I must be considered smart and experienced. Why do you detest me and my job so much that you constantly insult me? Are you not satisfied with my work? If you are not, simply acknowledge it verbally but do not criticize my choice of works." I maintained my cool composure despite my need to yell. How could he? After all I've always proved myself the best.

"That's it, you said it, you've been taking the greatest projects, and now you're not doing them anymore; how can you say it's not because of Mr Davis? It's obvious you like him, and you're rejecting this idea because you don't want to leave him." He yelled it in such a cheap and derogatory way, slowly moving closer to me while I was still sitting in the chair. He is mad for no reason honestly. I have the right to choose my projects and he gets no say on any of this. 

"I do not want to work with you." I said it blankly and without any expression since I am actually rejecting this offer because I do not want to work with him, he is a member of this project, which means I will have to suffer in his presence, which am I incapable of. Why would anyone want to work with him?

"Why?  Am I that unlikeable? Do you dislike me that much?" He kept his hands on either side of the chair's handle. This close proximity will kill me. I could literally feel him only inches from my face. My heart. My heartbeat is racing. I hope it's not audible, and that he doesn't realize the effect he has on me. He can't.

SILENCE. I couldn't say anything. His big frame towered over mine, and I couldn't see anything else in the room except him.

He gazed at my lips before tucking my hair behind my ears. His hands on even a strand of my hair feel intense, or perhaps it's just me.

"Work calls" I broke the ice between us, and he closed his eyes and let go of me. I ran out of the meeting room with speed of flash. 

I dashed to Tessa's office, took her with me to my office area, and explained everything to her.

"I told you, he likes you." She told again, as usual.  

"I told you about the controlling behaviour this man possessed and you have to say this about him? seriously? "I sighed with annoyance.

"Girl c'mon it's not just about the bodily closeness he initiates, it's the way that he looks at you." She tried to make the situation romantic. Eww

"Okay, delusion lady, not again, and men look at anyone so nothing special plus he's 35 and  woman I am 25. So NO!" I attempted to persuade her.

"He looks at you as if you are the only woman on Earth. It's delightful that he looks at you as if he adores you. It's as if his eyes are fixed on you, and he appears to be unable to look away." She explains, dreamily. And I was in no position to believe, but she would simply keep talking about it since she had no idea what a useless, controlling, arrogant, unpleasant, and disrespectful creature this man is.

"Haha(obvious forced one), I'm not interested in your lame jokes. I need to get back to work, bye. I love you!" I kissed her on the cheeks and left for my office.

While I try to concentrate, I am distracted by my own thoughts about William. I just happen to somehow  like our  closeness. I hate to admit this. There is nothing I can do about it. His eyes, lips, jawline, minor creases, his hair, which I've always wanted to run through, his tall frame, and the way he looks at me. I'd love it all. But then it's MR DAVESWORTH I'm thinking about so no. His insults, contempt, continuous comments about my personal life, interrupting me while I'm conversing with colleagues, and so on. Extra work hours, an extended stay after the meeting, and a great deal of difficulties. Even if he were the last man on the earth, still no. Anyone but him.