29.A Week Apart: Baking Through Longing and Love

Bella's POV:

It had been three days since William left for his business trip, and each day felt like an eternity. We had been keeping in touch through texts and short calls, but tonight was the first time we had a chance for a longer conversation. I was both excited and nervous to hear his voice and catch up on how he was doing.

As I settled into the couch with my phone, the screen lit up with William's name. My heart skipped a beat as I answered.

"Hey, William," I said, trying to sound cheerful. "How's everything going?"

"Hi, Bella," he replied, his voice warm and familiar. "It's good to hear your voice. The meeting went really well, actually. We made some great progress, and I'm feeling optimistic about the results."

I could hear the fatigue in his voice despite his positive news. "That's great to hear. I'm so proud of you. But I can tell you're exhausted. Are you taking care of yourself?"

William chuckled softly. "You know me too well. I've been pushing myself pretty hard. But hearing your voice makes it all a little bit easier."

"I miss you so much," I admitted, feeling a lump in my throat. "It's been really tough without you here."

"I miss you too," he said, his voice cracking slightly. "Every day feels like it's dragging on. I've been thinking about you constantly, and it's hard to be apart. I keep wishing you were here with me."

I could sense the depth of his longing. "I've been counting down the days until you come back. It feels like there's this empty space without you."

He sighed, and I could almost picture him running a hand through his hair. "I keep imagining what it would be like if you were here. I've got this incredible view from my hotel room, but it's nothing compared to being with you. I even tried to watch some TV to distract myself, but all I could think about was how much I want to be back with you."

"I'm glad you're getting some time to unwind, but I wish I could be there to keep you company," I said softly. "It's so strange not having you around. I keep expecting to hear your voice or see your smile, and then I remember you're not here."

William's voice was filled with tenderness. "You know, I keep thinking about our weekend together. It was perfect, and I keep replaying those moments in my mind. It helps me get through the day, thinking about how happy we were and how much I look forward to being with you again."

I smiled at his words, feeling a pang of both joy and sadness. "Me too. Those moments are what keep me going. I can't wait to see you and make more memories together."

There was a pause, and I could sense William gathering his thoughts. "Bella, I know it's only been a few days, but it feels like an eternity. I just want you to know how much I appreciate you and how much you mean to me. This trip is important, but it's so much harder knowing I'm away from you."

"I understand," I said, my voice steady despite the emotions bubbling up. "I'm proud of you for handling everything so well. And I'm here, supporting you every step of the way. It's just one week, and then we'll be back together."

"I know, and that's what keeps me going," William said softly. "Just hearing your voice, knowing that you're waiting for me, makes all the difference. I love you more than words can express."

"I love you too," I replied, feeling tears of happiness and longing. "I can't wait for you to come back. I'm counting down the days."

"Me too," he said with a sigh. "I'll call you again tomorrow. Until then, take care of yourself. And remember, no matter how far apart we are, you're always with me in my thoughts."

"I will," I said, feeling a mix of sadness and anticipation. "And you stay safe out there. I'll be here, waiting for you."

With that, we exchanged a few more heartfelt words before reluctantly ending the call. I held my phone close, feeling both comforted by his voice and keenly aware of how much I missed him. The days seemed long, but knowing that our reunion was just around the corner made the wait a little more bearable.

The days without William felt like an endless stretch, each one dragging as I counted down to his return. His calls and messages provided some solace, but nothing could fill the void left by his absence. I missed him terribly—his laughter, his warmth, and the simple joy of having him close.

One afternoon, I decided to bake with my family to distract myself and keep busy. The familiar kitchen and the comforting routine of baking were soothing, even if my heart wasn't fully in it. My mom and I worked side by side, mixing ingredients and chatting as we prepared our favorite recipes.

As we waited for the cookies to bake, my mom glanced at me with a concerned look. "Bella, you've seemed a bit off lately. Is everything alright?"

I forced a smile, trying to mask the turmoil I felt inside. "Oh, it's nothing, Mom. Just work, you know how it is. It's been a bit stressful."

She didn't seem entirely convinced but didn't press further. "If you need to talk about it, I'm here. Sometimes sharing what's on your mind can help."

"I appreciate it, Mom," I said, giving her a reassuring hug. "It's really just work stuff. I promise I'm okay."

As we continued baking, my mind wandered back to William. I thought about our recent conversations and the deep connection we had. It dawned on me, more clearly than ever before, how much I truly loved him. The realization hit me like a wave, and I found myself lost in thoughts of him—how he made me feel special, how he understood me in a way no one else did.

Later that evening, as we enjoyed the freshly baked cookies, my mom smiled at me with a hint of curiosity. "These turned out wonderfully. I'm glad you're keeping yourself busy."

"Me too," I said, though my thoughts were far from the cookies. "Thank you for baking with me, Mom. It really helps."

My mom gave me a warm look, sensing that there was more to my feelings than I was letting on. "Anytime, sweetie. Just remember, I'm here if you need anything."

As I cleaned up the kitchen, I couldn't shake the feeling of longing and love that had surfaced. The week felt even more excruciating now, knowing how deeply I cared for William and how much I yearned to have him by my side.

Even as I focused on the mundane tasks and the comforting presence of my family, my heart remained tethered to William. I couldn't wait for the day when I could see him again, hold him close, and tell him just how much he meant to me. Until then, I held on to the thought of our reunion and the love that had grown so strong between us.