39.Shattered Walls: A Night of Confession and Desire

Bella's POV:

As I walked towards Tessa's apartment, the weight of what had happened felt heavier with each step. The apartment complex loomed before me, its familiar façade offering little comfort as I made my way up to Tessa's door. I knocked, my hands trembling slightly.

"Bella!" Tessa's voice was cheerful as she opened the door. Her face fell into an expression of concern when she saw my tear-streaked face. "What's wrong?"

Without waiting for an invitation, I stepped inside, needing the familiarity of her space to anchor me. I collapsed onto the couch, my eyes brimming with fresh tears. Tessa sat down beside me, her concern deepening as she took in my distressed state.

"Tessa, you won't believe what happened," I began, my voice shaking. "William... he came to my apartment last night. He broke in through the window, and I was so scared."

Tessa's eyes widened in shock. "William broke in? That's... that's crazy. What did he want?"

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my emotions. "He wanted to explain everything. He told me about Olivia and his stepfather. Apparently, they've been trying to ruin him ever since he refused to transfer the property to them. Olivia's been blackmailing him, threatening to file a case if he didn't agree to stay with her or split the property."

Tessa's eyes grew even wider, her shock palpable. "Olivia? I knew she was trouble, but this is... this is next level. I had no idea she was involved in something so malicious. But it makes sense now."

I nodded, feeling a lump form in my throat. "William said that if he had agreed to Olivia's demands, his mother would have been left homeless, and he couldn't bear the thought of that. He was trying to protect her and keep me safe, even though it meant staying away from me."

Tessa leaned back, her mind clearly racing. "So that's why he's been so distant and off lately. It all adds up now. I remember how he seemed so tense and distracted, and I just thought it was work stress. But now..."

I felt a wave of frustration mixed with relief at her words. "Yes, exactly. It's like a huge piece of the puzzle finally fell into place. But it doesn't make everything okay. I was so hurt by his distance, and now it feels like I've been living in this fog of misunderstanding."

Tessa took my hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Bella, this is a lot to process. I can't believe he was dealing with something so intense and personal while trying to keep it all together. But you have to remember, he's not the only one hurting here. You've been through so much too."

I wiped away the tears that had started flowing again. "I know. I just... I feel so conflicted. Part of me wants to forgive him and be there for him, but another part is still so angry and hurt."

Tessa's gaze softened, her voice gentle. "It's okay to feel that way. You're allowed to be angry and hurt. But don't forget that he came to you, desperate for your understanding. It shows how much he needs you and values your presence in his life."

I sighed, feeling a mix of gratitude and sadness. "I just don't know how to move forward. I want to be there for him, but I also need to protect myself. I need to figure out what's best for me."

Tessa nodded, her expression thoughtful. "Take your time. You don't have to have all the answers right now. Focus on what feels right for you and how you can heal from all of this. And remember, I'm here for you. Whatever you need, just let me know."

I managed a weak smile, feeling a bit of the weight lift off my shoulders. "Thank you, Tessa. It means a lot to have someone like you to talk to."

Tessa pulled me into a comforting hug. "Anytime, Bella. We'll get through this together. And who knows? Maybe there's still hope for you and William, despite everything."