16.William's Night of Turmoil

William's POV:

The night was quiet, but my mind was anything but. I found myself replaying the events of the day over and over. There was something undeniably exhilarating about the way Bella responded to my jokes and flirtations. Her sarcastic comments were a kind of validation, a sign that she was engaging with me on some level. It was a small victory, and it made me oddly happy.

I thought about asking her out for dinner. It seemed like the right move, especially after such a fun day. My heart raced just thinking about it. The idea of spending more time with her, of seeing her outside the usual office setting, was exciting but also terrifying. What if she said no? Or worse, what if she laughed at me?

I could already feel my cheeks warming up, and I knew I was blushing like a complete idiot. The whole situation felt so childish, like I was back in high school with a crush I didn't know how to handle. It was both funny and frustrating. I kept imagining what it would be like—if she said yes, I'd tell the maid not to cook that night. It would be our little dinner, just the two of us.

But just as I was about to gather the courage to ask her, I overheard her talking on the phone. The words that reached my ears were like a punch to the gut. "I love you," she said softly. "I miss you." The kind of sweet, intimate things that made my heart sink.

My first reaction was shock. Who was she talking to? Her tone was so affectionate, so genuine. I stood there, frozen, unable to move. My mind raced with questions and emotions. She had never mentioned a boyfriend or anyone significant in her life. Who was this person she was so obviously in love with?

The pain in my chest was intense, almost unbearable. I was angry, but more than that, I felt a deep sense of jealousy. How could she have someone else? I wasn't ready to admit it, but it was clear that I was jealous. It didn't fit with the image I had built of her. I had always seen her as someone who was just out of reach, but now it seemed like she was involved with someone else entirely.

I left the apartment quietly, my mind in turmoil. The thought of asking her out for dinner felt foolish now. How could I, when she was clearly involved with someone else? I didn't understand why it hurt so much. I didn't want to face her, didn't want to deal with the confusing mix of feelings.

As I walked away, I tried to convince myself that it was better this way. That it was for the best. But deep down, I knew that I was not ready to accept that she might have someone else in her life. The anger was too overwhelming, too raw. I was in denial, unable to accept the reality of her feelings for someone else.

The rest of the night was a blur of restless tossing and turning. I couldn't shake the image of Khushi's tender words from my mind. "I love you," she had said. Who was this person? My brain raced, trying to piece together any clues that might explain the situation.

As soon as the sun rose, I couldn't wait any longer. I started digging through any information I could find. I made discreet inquiries, checking with mutual acquaintances and even looking through social media profiles. But the results were the same: no one in the vicinity or in her social circle seemed to fit the profile of someone she might be romantically involved with.

The more I searched, the more frustrated I became. How could she be so close to someone, and yet that person remained a complete mystery? There were no clues, no hints, no signs pointing to anyone who could be the recipient of those affectionate words.

My mind was consumed with questions and doubts. Had I missed something? Was there someone I overlooked? The confusion and denial made it impossible to find any peace.

Every time I tried to close my eyes, the scene replayed in my mind—her voice, the warmth in her tone, and the undeniable sincerity of her words. I was left with nothing but a gnawing sense frustration.

The lack of sleep only added to the turmoil. My thoughts were scattered, and I couldn't focus on anything but the mystery of her phone call. I was angry, confused, and above all, deeply unsettled.

Who was this person, and why couldn't I figure it out? The unanswered questions tormented me throughout the night, leaving me more restless than ever.