𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙁𝙞𝙫𝙚. 𝘐𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸𝘴 𝘛𝘰𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳

The Arsenal media room was decorated with bright lights illuminated the space, reflecting off the Arsenal logo on the backdrop behind Caitlin and I. We sat side by side in front of the camera, waiting for the interviews we'd been called into do before training to start.

We were currently nearing the end of the 21/22 season, with only a few more games left before I'd be on my way to prep for the Euros during off season.

The interviewer, a friendly face we'd both seen around the club many times, smiled warmly as she prepared to begin. "Ready, ladies?"

Caitlin flashes a quick smile. "Ready."

I nod, trying to mirror Caitlin's confidence even though my heart was beating a little faster than usual.

The interviewer begins with the usual pleasantries. "Thanks for joining us today. First of all, congratulation on the recent wins! How are you both feeling about the season so far?"

"Caitlin leans forward, eager to take the lead. "It's been great. The team's in a good place, and we're just taking it one game at a time, focusing on improving and staying consistent."

I follow, my tone more relaxed as I settle into the conversation. "Yeah, everyone's working hard, and it's showing on the pitch. We've got a solid team dynamic."

The questions continue, staying in safe territory: discussions about training routines, the importance of teamwork, and our goals for the rest of the season. The two of us handled it easily, our answers flowing smoothly as we bounce off each other's energy.

But then the interviewer shifted, her expression turning just a bit more curious. "You know, I've noticed something interesting-both on and off the pitch. It seems like you two have really become close lately. How's that been, balancing your friendship with your professional roles?"

The question hangs in the air and for a split second neither of us move. Caitlin and I exhange a quick, almost imperceptible glance, the kind that only people with a shared secret might understand.

I force a smile, hoping it looks natural while Caitlin lets out a small, nervous laughing, filling the silence before it grows awkward.

"Yeah, we've gotten to know each other pretty well," Caitlin says, keeping her tone light. "It's always good to have strong bonds within the team."

I nod, adding quickly, "Definitely. We push each other to be better on the pitch. It's great to have that kind of support."

The interviewer smiles, seemingly satisfied with our responses, but I could still notice a hint of curiosity in her eyes. "Well, it's certainly paying off. Some fans have even started calling you the 'dynamic duo.' How does that feel?"

Caitlin chuckles, a little more nervously this time. "I guess we've got a good thing going," she replies, but there was a slight tremor in her voice that she couldn't quite hide.

I shift in my ear, trying to meaning my compulsive under the preassure of our secret. "Yeah, it's flattering." I say, forcing a smile that didn't reach my eyes. "But we're just focused on the team and doing our best."

The interviewer, perhaps sensing that she's treading on delicate ground, decides to steer the conversation back to safer topics. She wraps up the interview with a few more questions about our upcoming matxhes ans training routines, allowing both Caitlin and I to break a little easier.

As the camera stppped rolling, the tension in the air became almost palpable. The interviewer fhanks us for our time and as soon as she turns away, the carefully maintained smiles slip from our faces.

"That was close," Caitlin mutters, glancing at me with a forced grin.

I nod, my gaze dropping to the floor. "Too close," I reply, my voice barely above a whisper.

We stand up, the silence between us hes hu as we make our way to the door. The interviewer had brought an uncomfortable turn to the surface- keeping our relationship hidden was getting harder and harder bt the minute and the preassure was beginning to take its toll.

I walk a step ahead of Caitlin, my thoughts swirling with unease. The ease we'd once felt with one another felt distant now. It was replaced by an anxious aweearness of how fragile our secret really is.

Caitlin follows behind, watching my retreating figure. I walk on with a knot of worry tightening in my chest. The distance between us was more then just physical and I felt it drowning with each passing moment.

As we leave the media room and step into the hallway, the conversation from the interview lingers in the air between us, unspoken bud heavy with implications. The cracks in our relationship we're staring to show and neither of us knew how long we'd be able to keep everything from falling apart.