𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙉𝙞𝙣𝙚. 𝘌𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘷 𝘚𝘱𝘢𝘪𝘯

The team and I were doing really well at the moment. We'd played at Old Trafford against Austria for the opening game of the Euros and won 1 nil, scored by Beth. Our second game was played against Norway, which we also won 8 nil. The knock out rounds had begun and we won Northern Island 5 nil and now currently, we were standing on the pitch waiting for the whistle to blow so that we could play Spain in the quarter finals.

My eyes locked with Ona's across the pitch and a smile tugged on my lips. It was nice seeing her again after everything that happened. She was always a familiar face.

I'd sent her a good luck text before the game, which she replied to with a simple 'you too'. Ona and I hadn't texted one another since our break up so, comimg beck onto the empty chat to send a message took a lot of courage, but I could tell the closure she'd searched for I'd given her.

The ref blew the whistle and the game began straight after. It was a tight game. Spain kept the ball in their possession pretty well, but I was quicker on my feet than a few of their players.

I watched as Ona kicked the ball towards Mapi behind me, who began running for it. I didn't hesitate to run for it. I quickened my speed until I was beside Mapi and scanned my surroundings. Fran was ready for the ball on the right and so I sped up and kicked the ball towards her before Mapi could, unfortunately for me, Mapi tried kicking the ball at the same time as me, but since I got their first, she kicked me straight in the back of my foot.

"Ah, fuck." I hissed as I grabbed my foot, falling into the grass.

"I'm sorry, are you okay?" Mapi asks me and I nod. I feel a hand on my back as the person walks around and plaves their hand out for me to take. I follow the hand up until my green eyes meet familiar brown ones.

Ona pulls me up and the ref calls a free kick for our team. I don't pay much attention to the free kick as Ona eyes my foot and makes sure I'm okay.

It makes me realise how much I missed Ona. She was always so sweet to me even when I struggled to tell her things about myself. She waited for me to open up to her no matter how long it took. She treated me well, despite me not doing the same.

Hempo kicks the ball towards me and I immediately step away from Ona and get it before she can. I smirk back at the brunette as the game carries on.

When half time is called, the team and I go into the changing rooms to cool down before the second half, though we knew there would be extra time aswell.

I stand in a corner as I fix my hair. An arm wraps around my shoulders as I finish tying my hair up into a simple ponytail since I didn't want to ask anyone to braid it for me.

I hadn't talked much to the team so I understood why they were worried about me, but I just needed time to think for myself about everything. I needed my own time to get over everything with Caitlin because I realised the more I tried telling myself there was nothing between us, the more it hurts.

"You're doing well, Els." Rach tells me with a wide smile.

"Thanks." I give her a small smile back.

"It was nice of Ona to check up on you." I freeze at Rachel's words. She didn't know Ona and I were a token a few years back. The only person that did know was Caitlin.

"Yeah, she's a nice person." I say and move away from Rachel to go back outside to do some warm up excersizes again. I knew I was defintely warmed up after playing 45 minutes, but I wanted to leave the changing rooms.

Rachel had stopped asking me what was up, but I could still tell she was worried about me ans I hated that she had to feel like that for me, but she also had to understand I wouldn't tell her what was making me this cold person, who'd put her walls back up for everyone around her.