HLS - 35

35

Three months had passed since our conversation and we hadn't spent much time talking since then. I wasn't sure how will I treat her so I always keep my distance. I turned to look out the window at the evening sky and my thoughts settled on Macsen. I couldn't understand myself why am I thinking of her most of the time. I shake my head as I was trying to erase her image out of my head. Ugrh. I felt guilty at some point.

My heart stopped and I froze when I heard a light knock on the door. I immediately open it and saw Macsen carrying my son.

" Hi. . . I'm sorry ngayon lang kame. " I took a deep breath and studied her. I didn't know what to say. I just smiled and nodded my head. The fingers of my right hand toyed restlessly with the material of my yellow pj. Damn why am I so nerveous whenever she is around. .

" It's okay. . . Mukhang nakatulog na siya, akin na Ako na magbubuhat sa kanya papasok."

" No. . . Ako na, show me his room na lang para makapagpahinga na siya. " We went upstairs and tuck Mavy on the bed. She kneels beside Mavy and kissed his forehead

I went to reach for the door handle, But Macsen bumped me out of the way.

" Ouch " I flinched in pain as my head bumped in her chest.

" Sorry." She steadied me and she reached her hand toward me as if to brush my cheek with her fingertips then pulled back at the last minute. In that brief instant in which she pulled away, I heard her teeth grind, as if not touching me was a struggle. Agonized, I was grateful she hadn't

" Tara na. . . Baka magising pa siya." I nervously smiled at her as she stared me down waiting for a response but I simply nodded. She directed her head towards the door and waited for me to walk out first

" Macsen. . . "

" Ahm.. Do you perhaps uhh want to have a cup of coffee? uh. . . " Thick silence greeted my suggestion. Her sudden, reluctant capitulation surprised me, silent for a long minute. Long enough for her brows to arch over those piercing brown eyes in a look that said you sure about that?

" uhm.. Kung gusto mo lang naman, But I will surely understand kung . . . " Shit where did that words came from? My eyes closed as I mentally kicked myself. HARD

" Sure. . . " She cut me off

" Ha?" A rush of adrenaline pumped through my veins

" Sabi ko okay lang naman. . . Wala din Naman along gagawin eh. "

" A--ahh okay, lika doon tayo." She muttered something under her breath and followed me out, her long stride easily gaining on mine.

When we reached the kitchen, I wasted no time in shoving a travel mug under the one-cup coffee maker. Macsen joined me with her jacket draped over one arm and her cell phone in her hand. I put another portable mug under the spout for her before I went to the fridge to get 2 slices of chocolate cake. I handed it to her and she accepted it gratefully.

" Mmm.. You bake this right? God . . . I can still remember the taste. . . Pati na din ung baked cookies mo grabe. . . Mouth watering. . ." That took me off guard

" Uh.. sorry about that " She muttered as she put a hand on her nape. I nodded steadying my mug with two hands

" How was your day with Mavy pala?" I quickly changed the topic. Blew on the sure of my coffee, then took a quick sip.

" Hahahaha. . Masaya sempre. . It was super fun! We just play and laugh the whole time. Pati nga si Jago sumuko sa kanya eh. " She said with too much excitement. I was happy she was getting along with my son.