XII

Chris

Chris

Los Angeles

March 11th, 1:00 PM

I dropped my gym bag by the door and kicked off my sneakers, feeling the cool air of the house greet me as I stepped in. It was 1 PM, and I'd been hitting the weights hard this morning. I was pumped up, not just from the workout but from the plan I had for the evening. I'd been thinking about asking Beyoncé out for a while now, and today felt like the right day. I figured I'd keep it simple, just the two of us. I imagined us having dinner, maybe catching a movie, something chill.

I made my way through the house, my mind already on how I was going to pop the question. I found her in the nursery. The soft hum of a lullaby was floating through the room, and there she was, sitting in the rocking chair, gently swaying side to side. Blue Ivy was nestled against her, tiny and peaceful, her little hand wrapped around Beyoncé's finger.

I hesitated for a moment, just soaking in the sight of them. It was a beautiful scene, the way Beyoncé was so tender and focused on her baby. I cleared my throat softly before stepping in, trying to keep my tone light and easy.

"Hey, Beyoncé," I said, giving a friendly smile. "I was thinking, maybe we could go out tonight? Just the two of us. I could drop Blue off at your mom's place."

She looked up, her eyes warm but tired. Her gaze softened when she saw me, but then she glanced back down at Blue with a gentle smile.

"Oh, Chris," she said softly, her voice filled with a kind of sweetness that made my heart sink just a little. "I'm so flattered, but... Blue just was born. She's really the focus of my attention right now. I'm not sure I can step away for the evening."

I nodded, trying to mask the disappointment I felt. "Yeah, I get it. No worries at all." I forced a casual smile, though inside I was feeling a mix of bruised ego and hurt. I could tell she was being sincere, and I respected that, but it didn't make the sting any easier to handle.

"Maybe another time?" I offered, hoping I didn't sound too desperate.

"Definitely," she said, her eyes meeting mine with a reassuring look. "Just not tonight."

I said goodbye, and as I walked away, I couldn't help but feel a pang of defeat. I headed towards the bathroom, needing to wash away the awkwardness and clear my head. The water from the shower was cold, but it wasn't enough to shake off the disappointment. I stood there, letting the steam envelop me, trying to figure out how to move past it and keep my cool.

I stepped out of the shower, wrapped in nothing but a towel. The cool air hit my skin as I dried off, slipping into my favorite grey sweats and a wife beater. I was feeling a bit better, but the disappointment lingered. I needed to clear my head, and a change of scenery usually did the trick.