Ch. 10: A Thread Of Deception.

She was rushed to the hospital, oxygen tubes plugged into her nose. I was shaken, the last time I'd seen my mother in such a state was six years ago. Despite the doctor's assurance that the trauma and stroke had subsided and she was recovering well, I couldn't help but wonder what had triggered this relapse.

As I struggled to process my emotions, the security guards held me firm, following Miss Faith's instructions. Her expression was tinged with pity, and I felt tears streaming down my face.

"Don't worry, I'll get you some refreshments,"

She said, before turning to leave.

I watched, tears blurring my vision, as the medical team wheeled my mother into the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

Hours later, I sat in the hospital hallway, outside my mother's ICU room, feeling emotionally drained. My tears had dried, replaced by a nagging headache. My aunt, Miss Faith, appeared with a can of refreshments.

She offered me one, but I declined. Instead, she took my hand, holding her own can in the other, and began sipping.

"The doctor says she's recovering fast,"

Miss Faith said, her voice measured.

"But... we need to be patient, especially you."

She paused, glancing at me before looking away.

"She's in a coma now, but she'll be okay soon."

My tears resumed, unstoppable.

"What did you do to her?"

I accused, my voice shaking.

"This trauma had subsided six years ago. You shouldn't have come, Miss Faith. We were doing fine for the past ten years without you. Why did you surface now?"

Miss Faith's expression turned resolute.

"I came back to Nigeria for good, not to cause trouble. Besides, I found your mother lying helplessly on the floor in her room."

She recounted her version of events.

"I called out, 'I'm home, Mum, what happened?' But there was no response. 'Mum!' I called again, but only my echo replied."

Miss Faith described finding my mother on the floor, stunned. She quickly called the doctor, who arrived promptly and treated her.

"I did nothing to harm your mother,"

Miss Faith insisted.

"I did everything I could to revive her. You should be grateful, not selfish."

"I don't know what sparked this animosity, but I've come to realize that my hatred for you runs deep. I'll hold onto these feelings until justice is served. Understand that this is who I've become - I'm no longer the Elizabeth you once knew."

"I understand,"

She said.

"I'll do everything to prove my innocence."

Miss Faith's expression turned introspective, her mind racing with thoughts she'd rather keep hidden. Earlier, she'd stumbled upon disturbing information online about the disease that claimed her brother's life.