Part 37 | I Knew It, I Know You

May 27, 2023

As Aria and I stood there, the tension hanging in the air, I could feel Emma's gaze burning into us. My family remained just behind us, as if sensing the storm brewing. Emma opened her mouth, no doubt ready to say something that would stir the pot, but before she could say a word, Max appeared out of nowhere. 

He moved quickly, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her away from the scene. Emma's expression twisted, and for a brief second, I saw the frustration flash in her eyes before she let Max guide her. She looked annoyed that Max had pulled her away. Max shot me a look, one that I couldn't quite place. 

Was he helping me? It wasn't the usual cold glare I was used to, but something softer, almost understanding. Compassionate, even. It threw me off for a moment, and I wasn't sure how to react. Did he feel guilty about Emma? Or was he genuinely trying to diffuse the situation? 

Before I could make sense of it, Aria let out a quiet, relieved breath beside me. She turned to me, her eyes searching mine with concern. Gently, she pushed back a strand of my hair, her touch soft and grounding, as if to remind me that this...us, was what mattered. 

"Are you okay?" she asked. 

I blinked, suddenly realizing how tense I'd been. But looking at her, with her eyes full of warmth, I felt the knot in my chest begin to loosen. A genuine smile broke across my face, and I nodded. 

"Yeah, I'm okay." 

In that moment, I knew it was true. Aria was my anchor, the one who could pull me back from any chaos, any distraction. With her by my side, I could face anything, even the ghosts of my past that still lingered. She smiled back at me, her hand lingering for a second longer on my cheek, and in that simple gesture, everything felt manageable again. 

We finally made it to the Ferrari garage, which was buzzing with nerves and excitement as everyone prepared for qualifying. My family stood nearby, chatting while keeping an eye on the screens displaying the lap times. Aria stood close to me, a calming presence in the midst of all the chaos. 

As I suited up, ready to focus on the session ahead, I turned to her, needing just one more moment before heading out. Quietly, away from prying eyes, I kissed her softly. It wasn't long, but it was enough to feel her warmth, her support. She pulled back with a smile, her eyes twinkling as she whispered, "Good luck, Charles. You've got this." 

Her words echoed in my head as I climbed into the car, confidence filling my chest. I felt different, stronger, calmer, like everything in my life had aligned perfectly. I knew I could do this. As I started my lap time, everything clicked. The car responded perfectly, and I could feel the power under me as I pushed through every corner, every straight. 

The adrenaline coursed through me as I nailed every sector, my heart racing as I saw the time ticking down. When I crossed the finish line, my time flashed on the screen. I had made it to the final round of qualifying, and in the last push, I beat Max for pole position by the smallest margin possible. 

My heart was pounding so fast I thought it might burst. Pole position. For my home race. I couldn't believe it. The cheers coming from the crowd were insane, and the reality of what had just happened washed over me like a wave of pure euphoria. I jumped out of the car, barely able to contain myself, and immediately launched into the arms of my team. 

The morale in the garage skyrocketed as everyone cheered and clapped, celebrating the huge moment. Even Carlos, who had secured P3 for tomorrow's race, pulled me into a tight hug, his wide grin matching mine. Everything felt right. I could feel the pride, the energy, and the optimism in the air. All the hard work, the struggles, and the pressure, it had led to this.