Part 55 | Criminal Minds

August 5, 2023
Aria POV

The gentle sway of the yacht as we sailed was calming, just what we needed after the whirlwind of the past few weeks. The sun was hot, with a nice breeze, as I leaned back against the lounge chair. I watched Charles at the wheel, his expression relaxed and content, his focus on the water. 

This time alone together felt like a rare gift. Between the non-stop travel for races, the drama with Emma, and the curious eyes from the media, we hadn't had much time to just be. No cameras, no schedules...just us, wrapped in the serenity of the sea.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes for a moment. As much as I loved being by Charles's side through everything...celebrating his wins, supporting him through the pressures of the season, this quiet moment was what I'd craved. A chance to recharge, to feel like it was just the two of us in our own little world.

Charles steered us into a quieter area, slightly near a cove so there was a bit of privacy. He anchored the yacht and walked over, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he dropped down beside me. He looked so effortlessly handsome, with his hair tousled by the wind and the sun bringing out the golden tones in his skin. 

"This is perfect," I said softly. "Exactly what we needed after everything."

He smiled, his hand finding mine, our fingers intertwining. "Yeah, I think we both deserved a break. Especially you, after all you've put up with lately," he added, slightly concerned. 

I could tell he was thinking about everything that happened for the past few weeks. For a moment, I saw the tension in his jaw, the way he still worried about me, about us. But I squeezed his hand gently, trying to reassure him.

"I'm fine, really," I said, smiling up at him. "Being out here, with you...it's all that matters to me right now."

His expression softened, and he leaned in to press a soft kiss to my forehead. We sat there for a while, soaking up the sun and the easy silence between us. I knew that soon we'd be off to Greece with his friends and family, but today was ours alone, a day to reset, to find each other again amidst the chaos.

"Feel like a swim?" he asked suddenly, a spark of mischief in his eyes.

I laughed, looking out at the beautiful water. "Only if you promise not to push me."

He raised an eyebrow, a playful challenge in his smile. "No promises, cherie."

Before I could even respond, he pulled me to my feet, hugging me close before scooping me up in his arms. I yelped in surprise, clinging to him as he made his way to the edge of the boat, my laughter mixing with my begging.

"Charles, don't you dare!" I warned, but the grin on his face told me he was going to do exactly what I thought.

And then, he quickly kissed me, as we plunged into the Mediterranean together.

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

We were lying side by side on the deck, sunbathing. I watched as the sunlight covered Charles's face. His eyes were closed, a sweet smile playing on his lips as he soaked in the warmth. He was perfect.

But even with the peacefulness surrounding us, a knot of anxiety twisted in my chest, something I'd been thinking about for days. I turned my head slightly, looking over at Charles. I took a deep breath, the words catching in my throat for a moment.

"Charles..." I barely whispered, my voice laced with hesitation.

His eyes opened, and he looked at me with that familiar, soft expression, the one that always made me feel like I was the only person in his world. "What is it, mon coeur?" he asked.