Chapter 24 Teasing

Jian Chi wanted to propose that he would go back first, but Ji Huaisi seemed to understand what he was thinking, and said ahead of him: “You stay here to read, no one will come in to disturb you. I will come back to you when the selection work is over.”

“I want to go back to the dormitory first,” Jian Chi said. “The selection should be busy until late, and I still have homework to finish.”

Ji Huaisi paused for a while and his soft tone didn’t show anything peculiar: “In this case, you can go back first.”

The reasons were true and false. Jian Chi felt inexplicably guilty and unbearable. The book in his hand was extremely heavy. He hesitated for a few seconds and asked tentatively, “Next time if I want to borrow a book, can I still come here?”

“Of course you can,” Ji Huaisi’s smile deepened, sweeping away the dull look between his eyes, “You can come over at any time.”

Jian Chi only guessed that Ji Huaisi would want to hear such words before asking.

Shen Shuting, who was standing by the door, did not speak after leaving the notice. When Jian Chi walked out, Shen Shuting, who had not moved, suddenly took a step to the side and lightly narrowed the distance between the two, his eyes always looking straight ahead. He treated Jian Chi as a cloud of air.

Jian Chi walked a long way, and it was not until he left the student union that Shen Shuting’s actions just now reappeared in his mind.

It was very strange that Shen Shuting never looked at him from the beginning to end, let alone say a word to him, but Jian Chi felt that Shen Shuting didn’t seem to like him very much.

The reason why he went back to the dormitory that Jian Chi was saying was nonsense. He didn’t want to go back to face Wei An’s strange temper. Thus he changed his path and slowly headed to the library to see that a line of people were stopped there.

Several men in suits stood in two clusters and they were discussing something seriously. Jian Chi waited for a while and found that they had no intention of leaving, so he turned back to the stairwell.

The second and third floors of the library were connected with the teaching building, which made it convenient for students to pass through. The selection of the student union in the afternoon attracted a lot of people. At this moment, the corridor was empty with only the sound of footsteps. Jian Chi originally thought this, until vague music became clear with the pace of him going upstairs, and gradually, Jian Chi lightly stepped and walked past the source of the sound.

It was the sound of a piano.

Jian Chi’s heart moved slightly.

When he was still in Chuanlin, Jian Chengchao was sometimes drunk and always talked about his mother in nonsense. Jian Chi still remembered that her last wish before her death was to own a piano.

In his memory, his mother’s appearance was particularly vague and even the name He Yueqing was unfamiliar. Jian Chengchao used to talk about her in an intoxicated and nostalgic tone. He told Jian Chi that his mother was a young lady born in a wealthy family, and she always had the best food and clothing. Her playmates were all children of officials and wealthy businessmen. She had learned piano and painting since she was a child, and had a talent for it. But when she was fifteen years old, her father’s business failed and they lost most of their savings. Since then, his mother had also changed from the eldest miss who was admired by many to an ordinary person who needed to be very careful in her decision everywhere.

Speaking of this, Jian Chengchao’s turbid eyes always flashed with tears. He said that when his mother was pregnant, she didn’t want to eat sour or spicy food, but only wanted a piano. After her family fell into poverty, she sold all her valuables including the piano that had accompanied her for ten years. But at that time, the business of their dry cleaners had just started and the wages could only maintain a minimum consumption level. This luxurious wish was never realized. After giving birth, his mother’s health had been very poor, and she was repeatedly admitted to the hospital. In the end, she failed to hold on and left on the day of the beginning of winter.