Chapter 34 Destiny

“Please come in.”

Qin Zhao’s voice came, and the moment his eyes met Jian Chi, he turned the back of his chair and slowly put down the pen between his fingertips, “If you are sick, sit in bed and describe your condition. If it is not for this, please leave.”

The attitude that can be called rejection did not stop Jian Chi from walking straight ahead. The smile on Qin Zhao’s mouth was reduced, replaced by a cold mixed vigilance, staring at Jian Chi who was getting closer, “My words, did you not understand?”

“I know you’re here.”

A writing desk separated them. Jian Chi stopped, and looked deeply into Qin Zhao’s eyes through his lens, “I don’t know what to call you, but I need to see you now. Don’t be like last time and create a dream, I want to talk to you, face to face.”

A long silence.

Qin Zhao blinked his phoenix eyes slowly, as if he heard a joke, absurd and incomprehensible. Accompanied by a faint sullen anger similar to being played, he just spat out a word: “You…”

“Qin Zhao.”

Jian Chi repeated his name, and for a moment, his heart beat faster than ever. He wasn’t sure, just betting on the possibility, “Come chat with me, can you?”

There seems to be a subtle difference in the silence this time. Jian Chi pursed his lips tightly, refusing to let go of any changes on Qin Zhao’s face. Seeing that the absurdity in his eyes was gradually replaced by a deeper joke, he raised his hand to remove the gold-rimmed glasses. The phoenix eyes lifted up and the voice was sweet and magnetic as he opened and closed his lips: “Of course, how can I refuse your request?”

Clearly separated by a certain distance, Jian Chi’s ears suddenly was numb for a while.

The first two meetings were too quick and sudden, and he did not make any preparations. This time, he finally calmed down and pushed his reasoning to a higher ground. The ‘Qin Zhao’ voice in front of him was filled with a light and airy emptiness, as if it did not come from the open and closed mouth, but from another unfamiliar place.

Qin Zhao covered this up with a deliberately low tone, until at this moment, Jian Chi finally noticed something unusual.

The bottom of his heart shivered for a moment and Jian Chi asked in the calmest voice possible: “Who are you?”

It sounded like a ridiculous question. Qin Zhao leaned back in his chair relaxedly, and asked back, “Where do you want me to start to answer this question? You want to know my name, my identity, my character, hobby, or something else?”

“Name and identity.”

Qin Zhao took the pen on the table, shook it from side to side in front of Jian Chi, and said in a low voice, “Don’t be too greedy.”

Jian Chi was not in the mood to joke with him, and left the more important option: “Identity.”

“I think you should have guessed this,” Qin Zhao smiled, “I’m not from your world.”

Even though there had been speculations for a long time before coming here, countless layers of defense towers built in the bottom of his heart, but Jian Chi’s eyes were still dark for a while. After a long time, the dizziness gradually faded.

He recovered his voice with a slightly altered tone, and said with difficulty: “Does this world really come from a book like that dream?”

“Yes and no.”

Qin Zhao restrained his smile, half lowered his phoenix eyes, and answered: “The source of the world is a book, but you live in a complete world.”

Jian Chi didn’t understand, so he couldn’t help propping up on the table, looked into Qin Zhao’s unfathomable eyes from a close distance, and asked the question that had been in his heart for too long: “Is this world real? Am I real?”