─ chapter sixteen, "the pink bento box."

✨✨✨

✨✨✨

; APHRODITE POV

The events of today left me in a complete daze, gazing at the ceiling like a person with the best crack on the market.

My new clothes and other items were put up after Uncle had gone to bed. Yet, even after I had showered, put my things away, and attempted to meditate; I was unable to sleep.

Those boys were constantly on my mind. Had taken me by storm and unable to release its iron clad hold.

Ugh.

A whimper left my lips. Turning over, I flopped onto my tummy and shoved my face into a pillow sprayed with lavender scented pillow spray.

The scent of lavender wasn't calming me in the slightest.
A pout formed on my lips. I paid twenty bucks for that stuff.
With a quick glance at the clock beside my bed, I muffled my wail of despair in my pillow.

2:05 am flashed in the darkness of my bedroom. Kicking my covers off to stick my feet into the cool air, a sigh of relief and ultimate comfort overwhelmed me. Easing my restless body.

I soon pulled them back underneath the covers, the fear of something jumping out and grabbing my feet to drag me to the fiery depths of hell flashing in my mind.
These thoughts were caused by too many horror movies that Jessi forced me to watch with her.

Sucking my bottom lip, I debated whether or not I should make my to do list for today. Maybe I should go visit Dr. Phil at the hospital later, to make sure he's taking care of himself.

"Hmm." I agreed with my thoughts, I rolled over one final time and grabbed my journal from my bedside table.

My head throbbed suddenly from a terrible headache that had been dull until this moment.
A croak left me after I finished jotting down all I wanted to and soon, trying to dull the headache, I fell into an unrestful sleep.

I woke when the sun rose within the sky, and by then; I still hadn't felt much better. I dragged my cold, heavy, tired body out from my bed to shower and dressed myself in an fuzzy pink sweater, white leggings, pink socks; and my ugh platform slippers to warm my body.
Pulling the front of my pale pink hair back, I secured it with a random claw clip I found thrown half hazardous on my vanity. Sniffing, I stretched my body and fell back into my bed with my laptop.

After an hour of studying, I still felt ragged, yet I left my bedroom and prepared a quick breakfast for Uncle.

Soon, the bold aroma of fruit salad, fresh French toast and bacon wafted through the house.

With a happy grin, I grabbed my huge lunch pack, that had a thermos, a pink bento box, and other things to use for dining before packing breakfast for Dr Phil (who I called Uncle Phil more often than not).

Then, since I had time to spare; I sang underneath my breath while I prepared a quick lunch of lemon pepper salmon, quinoa, and seared asparagus.

I set aside Uncle his serving, and packed Dr Phil's.

As I cooked and gave myself my daily quote of optimism; I hoped they liked the food I prepared.

I packed Dr Phil all kinds of snacks to last him between food breaks before calling it done. Making sure to add refreshments to the lunch pack; I zipped it up and set it aside.

Preparing a plate of breakfast food for me, I ate in the kitchen while jotting down notes for my later class for the day.

"Morning, birdie!" Uncle's deep boom jerked me from my thoughts. I smiled, looking up from my notebook in time to see Uncle getting food for himself and taking his spot across from me at the island.

Uncle sniffed at the French toast, bacon, and fruit salad with a bream. "This looks better than my own cooking, little birdie." He sent a grateful smile in my direction.

I beamed, brighter than the sun.

As he ate, I wrote down more notes of the Trojan War, when thoughts of what I wanted to do here soon came to mind.

I sat up and closed my notebook, "Uncle?"

"Hmm?" He hummed in response, flicking his eyes away from his phone.

"I was thinking of bringing some food to Uncle Phil at the hospital today—" I pointed to the pink lunch bag. "Do you mind dropping me off?"

The hospital Dr Phil mainly worked at had mostly academy doctors, nurses, and other medical staff on the payroll. So I'd be safe to wander in there on my own.

Uncle's brows shit up in surprise. "Sure," his thick lips broadened in a grin, "He'd love they little bird. And I know you like sounding time helping him out at the hospitals."

I nodded eagerly, thinking back to the times where I trained under Dr Phil. Even though I chose a different path than the medical field — it was always next of my list of other career options.

That and I knew a lot about it but reading medical books for enjoyment.
It always came in handy.

"I think I'll spend most of the day there." I divulged, setting my studying supplies aside.

"That's good with me," Uncle chimed, fork lifting to his mouth. As he chewed, a knowing smirk played upon his lips—making suspicion arise within me.

Brows furrowed, I observed him. Why is he smiling like that?

Brushing it off yet still concerned, I hopped off the barstool washed the used dishes for today, dried them; and put them away.

By the time I was done, Uncle was done eating.
I too the plate and utensils from his hands—despite his reluctance, and washed and dried them too.

"Let me just grab my keys and I'll drop you off, okay?" Uncle told me, walking off to get his things while I rushed to my bedroom to grab my pink puffer tote that had everything I would need for the day inside it.

I felt excitement bubble. Somehow i just knew (and felt) like this would be an amazing day!

"C'mon, birdie!" Uncle threw an arm across my shoulder. "You got a long day ahead of you."

— author's note ; ✨

I'm so excited for the next chapter heheheh ✨