The Forgotten Echoes [FirstKhao]

The tires of the black sedan crunched against the gravel as First and Khao pulled up to the grand, isolated mansion nestled deep in the countryside. Its towering, ivy-covered walls and ancient, creaky gates felt out of place in the modern world. The mansion was supposed to be their peaceful getaway, a retreat from the stress of their busy lives in the city. But Khao felt a knot tightening in his stomach the moment they arrived.

“It’s perfect, right?” First asked, glancing at Khao with a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“Yeah... perfect,” Khao replied, but his voice lacked conviction. There was something unsettling about the air around the place. It felt too still, too quiet. The trees swayed gently in the wind, casting long shadows across the driveway. Khao shivered despite the warm autumn sun.

They unloaded their bags and made their way inside, the large wooden doors creaking open with a groan that echoed through the empty hallways. The mansion’s interior was a mix of modern renovations and old-world charm. High ceilings, elegant chandeliers, and dark wooden floors gave the place an eerie but captivating atmosphere.

As they unpacked, Khao couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off. There was a strange energy in the air, as if the mansion itself was alive, watching their every move. But First brushed off his concerns.

“Babe, you’ve been stressed with work. This is exactly what we need—a break from everything. No distractions, just us.” First wrapped his arms around Khao from behind, planting a soft kiss on his neck.

Khao smiled faintly, trying to push aside the unease. “You’re right. Maybe I’m just overthinking.”

But as the sun set, the shadows inside the mansion grew longer, and so did Khao’s anxiety.

---

The first night was uneventful—almost too uneventful. Khao lay awake in the massive king-sized bed, staring at the ceiling. First was sound asleep beside him, his soft breathing the only sound in the room. Khao couldn’t sleep. Every creak, every groan of the old mansion seemed louder in the silence.

Around 2 a.m., Khao thought he heard a door close in the distance. He sat up, listening intently. The sound was faint but distinct, like someone had entered the room next to theirs. He looked over at First, who was still asleep, unaware of the disturbance.

“Maybe it’s just the wind,” Khao muttered to himself.

But when he lay back down, his heart wouldn’t stop racing. Something about this place felt wrong, as though the walls themselves were whispering secrets, urging him to listen. Khao eventually drifted off to sleep, but his dreams were vivid and unsettling—dreams of someone standing at the foot of the bed, watching him.

The next morning, Khao woke up feeling more exhausted than when he’d gone to bed. First was already downstairs, preparing breakfast. The scent of freshly brewed coffee filled the air, but it did little to soothe Khao’s nerves.

“Did you sleep well?” First asked as Khao descended the staircase, his tone casual, oblivious to the turmoil Khao had gone through during the night.

“Not really,” Khao replied, rubbing his eyes. “I kept hearing things. It felt like… I wasn’t alone.”

First laughed. “This place is old. Of course it makes noises. You’re probably just imagining things.”

Khao wanted to believe him, but something about the house made him feel like he wasn’t imagining anything at all. He couldn’t shake the sensation of being watched.

---

Later that evening, as they sat in the dimly lit living room, the mansion’s phone rang.