66

As I sat down for the interview, the cameras rolling and the spotlight focused on me, I tried to concentrate on the questions the interviewer was asking.

The team was gathered around, making sure everything went smoothly. But I could sense Rina standing off to the side, watching everything with a sharp eye.

Midway through one of my answers, I heard her voice, just loud enough for me and a few others to catch. She wasn't speaking to anyone in particular but aimed her words in my direction.

"Nabi is so good at staying composed, isn't she?" Rina said with a smile, glancing at one of the assistants. "Always the perfect image. I mean, she's practically used to handling pressure like this... I guess it must be second nature for her by now, after all."

I kept my gaze forward, forcing a smile for the camera, but the passive-aggressive tone wasn't lost on me.

The interviewer asked me another question, something about my preparation for the upcoming competition.

As soon as I finished my response, Rina chimed in again, her voice dripping with fake sweetness. "Nabi, you make it all seem so effortless. I wonder if it's ever hard for you to keep up with everything. Especially with, you know, the added distractions around."

I didn't need to look at her to know what she was implying. My relationship with Yuki had been a point of gossip lately, and it was clear she was trying to stir things up.

Still, I kept my expression neutral. "It's all about balance," I said calmly. "When you care about something, you make it work."

Rina let out a small, condescending laugh. "Of course, of course. Well, some people are just naturally good at handling... complicated situations."

I caught a few uneasy glances from my team members. They could sense the tension too, though no one said anything.

As the interview wrapped up, I finally turned slightly in Rina's direction. "Thanks for your concern, Rina," I said, maintaining a polite tone. "But I've got everything under control."

She smiled back, but her eyes glinted with something sharp. "I'm sure you do. After all, you wouldn't want to let anything... slip through the cracks, right?"

"You know, Nabi," she began casually, but I could hear the bite in her voice, "I've always admired how you've managed to stay so strong despite... everything. I mean, considering your family situation—losing your mother like that—it must have been incredibly hard to keep going."

I stiffened immediately, the mention of my mother hitting like a punch to the gut. My mother's death wasn't something people in the skating world typically talked about, at least not to my face. It was a subject that brought too much pain and darkness.

"I guess I just couldn't imagine dealing with that kind of thing," she continued, a false sympathy lacing her words. "It must've been... well, you're clearly strong, but I wonder if the pressure ever gets to you."

my expression blank. "It's not something I talk about," I said, trying to stay composed.

Rina's eyes flickered with satisfaction. "Of course. But, you know, with all the pressure you're under—your family, your mother's expectations... Yuki—"

"Rina," I interrupted, my voice sharp, "this is not your business."

Her smile didn't falter, but I could tell she was enjoying the moment. "Oh, I didn't mean to pry. I just think it's remarkable how you've handled everything. With a family that's... well, so famously cold and distant, it's no wonder you've had to be so strong."

My jaw tightened. I hated how much she knew, how she was picking at the most vulnerable parts of my life.

I approached her, gently pushing her hair away from her face, and leaned in slightly so that only she could hear.
"I don't think you really want to know how strong I am—physically, mentally, or even in your little work world. So, I suggest you stop talking about me and my family."