Chapter 1

At what age do you realize you fully mature. Is it 13? At the height of your preteen years. Is it 18? when you're finally grown up and ready to head off to college. Or is it 30, when your no longer in your immaturity stage but in your grown woman era...

Either way, I can't really decide. All I know is, I'm 17 now and I'm about to decide whether the fact is true or not at the age, of 18.

Mel's POV

"Mel you'll be late for school if you don't get up in the next hour!" My mom yells before slamming my door.

I let out an exaggerated huff before rolling over with my pillow squished over my head. I peek up slightly as the morning sun blinds my sensitive eyes.

"She opened my blinds?" I groan. I sigh frustratedly before turning on my back away from the window. "This is going be a good year" I whispered staring up at the ceiling.

"I DONT HEAR YOU SHOWERING!" My mom yells through the door.

"OKAY-IM UP IM UP"

"Today's a big day for you, isn't it?" a deep voice says from the kitchen table.

I glance up at my mom's fiancé, Derek.

"Yeah" I retort dryly.

"Mel, you don't have to talk to him like that" my mom hissed.

"It's okay Phoebe, you know how teenagers are and their hormones" he sips his coffee at the last word.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" I say bluntly.

Derek flicks his wrist out to check the time, "Not until 9 am" lifting up his blue irises at me.

"Well it's 8:30 now and your job is approximately 30 minutes away, you better get a move on" I say sarcastically.

"'Mel??" My mom slams the coffee pot down.

"What??" I say whipping my head around towards her.

"It's okay Phoebe, I best be going. I was just trying to enjoy some breakfast before the busy day. I'll take it to go"

"Love you" they say amongst themselves as he strolls across the kitchen to her.

"Have a good day Mel" his face creases into a dimpled smile.

I roll my eyes, turning away to sip on my orange juice.

Silence fills the kitchen again as the front door closes.

"You know you need to work on that attitude of yours" my mom says pointing a fork at me from a distance.

"Mom, you act as if I'm going to suddenly warm up to some guy you just met" I say, curving my lip.

"Mel, it's been three years since we been engaged and two years since we dated" my mom blares out.

"Really?" I fake gasp.

My mom rolls her eyes, "You really have your father's smarta** mouth"

My jaw clenches slightly looking at the floor.

"You know you could learn a thing or two from him" she added.

"Derek? Like what?"

My mom sighs and gives me a look, I know that look. I try to suppress the guilty feeling down but the sadness in her eyes makes me crack.

"Look, I'm not comfortable enough to refer him to dad yet. I know you want this big happy family mom but you got to give me time to adjust. I just don't see him that way" I say honestly.

"Fair enough" she nods picking up her car keys from the counter.

"Let's go before your even more late" she smiles softly to hide her pain.

I twist my lips in a sad smile as she walks ahead of me out the door.