Chapter 4

Mel POV

After school

"There he is" Joey says as we entered the track.

I rolled my eyes, strolling away to go talk to him.

"Heyyy" I say flirtatiously.

"Hey" Skyler says deeply, stepping away from the other players.

"Came to watch me practice?" He says cockily.

"Uhh" my eyes flicker down the track to see Troy completing his warm up run.

"Something like that" my eyes flickering back to him, tongue twisting in my mouth.

I place my hand on his chest, noticing Troy approaching closer in our direction.

Troy glances twice in my direction before turning forward.

"Come to my party" Skyler says abruptly.

"Party?" I say, listening this time.

"Yeah, I'm throwing a back to school party tonight. Everyone's going to be there" he says smoothly.

"Well if everyone is going to be there..what do you need me for?" I say, letting my fingers crawl up his arm.

He catches my hand, caressing it sexily. "Because It'll be drinks, fun, and games " he pulls my hand forward, sliding his warm mouth over my finger.

It takes everything in me to not crumble in that moment.

"What do you say?" He smiles softly, his baby blues sparkling in the sun.

3rd POV

"Sup -Joey" Troy pants out as he ends his run.

"Sup" Joey dabs him up.

"You ran your laps yet?" Troy asks.

"Not yet, just got here" Joey retorts, sliding off his shirt.

"Who's that talking to Mellie?" Troy asks.

"Oh, that's um. Skyler" Joey says with a smirk.

"Oh Skyler. Looks unrecognizable from this distance" Troy says flatly, staring at the two.

"Speaking of Mel.. summer really has done her something. She glowed up real nicely" Joey says cleverly.

"Yeah. *pauses* she does look good." He smiles to himself, picking up his water bottle from the bleachers.

"See you inside" patting Joey's shoulder on the way back to practice.

Mel/Joey POV

"Omg-omg?!!" Mel says running up to Joey.

"What did he say-what he say?!" Mel says shaking his arms.

"Girl if you don't relax so I can talk" Joey says with humor in his voice.

"Okay, I'm cool" I say going quiet.

"I asked did he notice your "glow up" over the summer and he said "yeah, she does look good" Joey smiles.

"Uhh" I stumble to the side pretending to faint.

"Girl, if you don't get up" Joey says, yanking me to my feet.

"This is great! All I have to do is entertain Skyler some more and my plan will work" I say excitedly.

"Too bad Skyler's going be hurt when he realizes you don't want him" Joey says.

"Hurt? Skyler is the biggest player in the school. I'm pretty sure he'll get over me in no time" I brush off.

"You still got think about Britney"

"Yeah, that's true but if I make him jealous. He won't want no Britney after this" I say pointing to myself.

"Right" Joey smiles.

"Going to Skyler's party?" I ask.

"H*ll yeah, you already know. You?" Joey asks as we walk down the track.

"Yeah just got ask my mom first, I know she'll say yes" I say with confidence.

Later..

"The answer's no Mel"

"But come on mom, this is literally my senior year. I should be experiencing new things!" Mel says frantically while walking after her.

"An unsupervised party with a bunch of drunken teens? Absolutely not"

"Who said anything about drinking?" I questioned.

My mom paused giving me a look.

"You think I was born yesterday? I was young once and trust I know what goes on at party"

"Mom pleaseee, Joey is going to be there. You trust Joey a lot mom" I smile widely.

"I'm not Joey's mom. If his parents allow him to go, so it will be. But as for my daughter she will not be going to a party on a school night"

"Mom it's Friday??" I correct.

"Mel, the answer is no and that's final" she warns.

I groan angrily, running back out of the living room.

I bump slightly into Derek on my way up as he descends the steps.

3rd POV

"What's up with her?" Derek says entering the living room.

"She wants to go to some party and I told her no" Phoebe says nonchalantly.

"Why not let her go?" He asks casually.

"Because Derek, I just don't trust it. Her in a room full of underage kids and bad decisions waiting to erupt. I don't think so. Besides she's been slipping up on her grades"

"Hey, I agree. But eventually you're going have to let her start doing things on her own. She'll be 18 in a couple more months" Derek says.

"I know" her mother sighs.

There's a slight shift in the atmosphere.

"I think this is deeper than the party"Derek smirks.

"You don't want see your little girl grow up" he adds, walking into her personal space.

Phoebe inhales deeply before sighing, "Your right. But I'm mainly just looking out for her. I'm all she's ever had since her father left. I've had to be overprotective and play the father role. It's simply not that easy" she struggles to say.

"But if you trust her, it should be" he clutches her face before kissing her softly.

Mel POV

9 pm

Her feet slowly tiptoed down the steps of the staircase, her hands gliding on the smooth railing.

She looked left and right of the dark house. She crept to the front door, sliding Derek's car keys off the hook.

Mel bites down on her lip, closing the car door softly. "I'm too short to be driving this sh*t" she grumbles while fixing the rear view mirror.

She quickly turns on the car before hitting reverse and driving off.