Chapter Fourteen: Walk down Sarah's life

I woke up to the smell of bacon. I sat up and saw that I fell asleep on the couch, a knitted square blanket was thrown over me, the house was rather chilly. I walked into the kitchen and saw her camera sitting on the table. I looked at the fridge and saw photos of Sarah when she was little, always holding onto someone I suspected to be both her parents. Even when she grew up, she still held her mother's and father's hands. Like they were keeping her grounded to the Earth. "Good morning." Sarah said and placed a plate down at the table along side a cup of fresh coffee. "I went grocery shopping before you woke up." She said and sat down along side me. "So, when are we going back to New York?" I asked and she began to play with her food. "After the funeral." She said and I nodded. "And I need to figure out a way to get all the family stuff out of this house..." She said sighing and took a photo off of the fridge. It was Sarah at university, short pixie cut with purple and magenta streaks with thin rimmed glasses next to her parents, all had large smiles on. "Sarah. The man you have wrapped around your little finger is the most powerful person in the world, past the president and queen of England that is." I said and she smiled sheepishly, "wrapped around my little finger?" She said and I nodded, "yes. You could order me and tell me what to do, I'd do it because I love you." I said and kissed her temple. "So much power might go to my head." She joked, "I doubt it, there's not such a bone in your body." I said and she giggled, "that's what my dad said." "Well your dad was right. Come on, let's start packing up after breakfast." I said and she nodded.

We began to clean up when I saw a put it album. I opened it up and saw the first page: Happy Birthday to our Darling Daughter. It was a photo of Sarah as a small baby, the background was of a hospital bed with her mother who was smiling, looking tired from child birth. I turned the page and saw the same sentence but with added words. Happy Birthday to our Darling Daughter. Only one and already helping around the house. There was a small girl with that hat on, cleaning up the wrapping paper from her presents. "You having fun over there?" Sarah asked, coming downstairs with a box. I've realized that she was doing most of the work, already brought down several boxes, while I am sitting here cross legged on the ground, looking at Sarah's Birthday book. "Yeah, sorry, not much help am I?" She shook her head, "no not really. But up there is really embarrassing so I think it's best you stay there and keep looking at... what is that?" She asked and sat down next to me. She blushed before trying to get up but I pulled her into my lap. "Is this really embarrassing too?" I asked and she cleared her throat. "Uh, no. It's fine." She said and got up, "just don't look at my apparent "sweet sixteen"." She said, already up the stairs to pack up more. I made sure she wasn't looking and I turned the page to her sixteenth birthday. She was standing there in an eye-popping red cocktail dress, her brown hair was curled, she was gorgeous! Why wouldn't she want my to see this?
Sweet sixteen, although she went through hardships with Gregory, leading up to their breakup after only a year, I hope she now doesn't distrust all men. May our darling girl be blessed with happiness and a good man to love and care for her. One day. Not now. Nathan wouldn't allow his little girl to date until she's old enough, he has said when he's dead, good and buried for twenty or so years, just to make sure he's dead.

I closed the book and placed it in a box and cleared out the rest of the small bookshelf. Sarah came down, placed a box down and stood up quickly, her back popping in several places. "Sit down Sarah." I said and she did. "If you say roll over, I demand a treat." She joked, I smiled and kissed her slowly. She was ridged but then melted with a squeak. I smiled as I pulled back, seeing her cute expression was heart warming.

We boxed up the house, leaving the beds, sofas, and other large furniture. I called my men over and told them to fly these back to my suite in New York. And we sat the rest of the day out. It was nice being by ourselves for a change. Sarah turned on the television and there was an article about us in Hot Topics Today or something. "Derek Winters has been in Seattle for the past day and when we called his company, they had no idea that he'd be here and he apparently followed his personal assistant, Sarah Song, here from New York. Miss. Song is a quiet home town girl, who doesn't seem to have any talents, the only thing we could find on her was that she played girl's baseball for a year. And that's it! So if Mr. Winters is dating the secretary this time, I pity him." I turned off the telly before they got even more offensive to Sarah. "Wow, they didn't get that right at all." Sarah said, "I did girl's baseball for a year and a half." I sighed, "you also got talents, your beautiful, and you always forgive me. Even when my tongue slips." She giggled and rubbed small, lazy circles in my skin. "I suppose so." She said and snuggled into my body. Hours past before she spoke up. "Derek. I want you to come to the funeral." She said and looked up at me. I nodded and kissed her forehead, "alright..." there was a knock on the door and Sarah went up to get it. She opened it and slammed it shut. "Come on Sarah. It's been five years! Can't you forgive and forget what I did?" I opened the door and saw a guy standing there, he had horrible dyed red hair with pierced eyebrows. "Who the hell are you?" He asked and tried to walk past me to get to Sarah. "You stay away from her." I said and pushed him down. Sarah stopped me from actually hurting him. "Oh so your the big shot, using your power to keep her by your side for a little play thing." He said and Sarah balled her fists up. "Listen Sarah, I came back to say I'm sorry for what I did, it was stupid and baby, I want you back." She held my arm, "Gregory, leave me alone. I've moved on." She said calmly. "But I want you back!" He said and Sarah held tighter on to me. So this is her ex. I wrapped an arm around her and glared at him. "Leave. Or I'll take everything you own and leave you in a ditch." I growled, he backed up, "she'd never let you do that!" He whinged, "oh no, I'd let him." Sarah said and Gregory watched us. "Sarah, baby, baby doll, sugarplum, I just want you back-" "Greg, you abused me! Do you seriously think I'd go back to that life of being afraid of men? I've met someone else, he's sweet and kind, a bit mysterious and I love him with every fiber of my being-" "can he offer you what I can?" Gregory said and licked his lips. "I can give you pleasure, believe me." "Just because you can set yourself off doesn't mean shit." I growled, Sarah wasn't holding me back anymore, she wanted me to beat him up, or at least a small part of her did. "Have fun with the bitch, I know I did, all those years of damaging you mentally, no one would want a bent piece of--" I went to hit him but Sarah beat me to it! I have never seen her so angry! "Keep talking. Next one won't be as soft." She growled and I pulled her back before he grabbed her. I pulled her inside and locked the door. "Where are you going?" I asked, she was heading towards the phone. "Calling my..." She stopped dialling and placed the phone down. "Hey, let's just forget about your old boyfriend. Let's go out to dinner, I brought a suit and-" she nodded and kissed me. She locked her hands around my neck.

She'll be the death of me.