Chapter 1

“He’s escaping!”

His breath was choppy and hard to draw in as he ran. Feet slammed on the hard metallic floor, making him wince silently with every step. His eyes felt like they were burning and his whole body felt as if it had been through a blender and stitched together sloppily. His mind was disoriented, blurring all his thoughts yet he knew what he needed to do. He needed to get out.  His time here needed to end. It had been sixteen long years and he did not want to add to that time. Their thunderous footsteps echoed behind him and in his ears, increasing his heart’s speed and the adrenaline his brain was fortunate enough to still have. He lived on adrenaline. Not in the way a risk taker says it. He literally lived on it. Each moment of his existence was so painful and horrid that he found himself continually filled with adrenaline, knowing it was the only way he would survive their tests and somehow, escape.

Shots were fired and with his panicked thoughts, he turned his body around somewhat, still running towards the exit and swung his arm, as if wielding a sword. A large bolt of electricity tore from some cables which had been sparking dangerously before his escape. The electricity tore from them, reaching down to the men who chased him and danced across their bodies, eliciting screams of pure agony from them. The energy then leapt from the corpses onto the metal floor, electrifying the whole walkway and earning more frightened and pained screams. It coursed under his feet yet he did not cry out in pain or cringe, rather, it soothed his pained feet, providing some form of soft platform to run on as opposed to the cold, harsh steel that the walkways consisted of. More loud shouts trailed him and his body screamed for him to stop yet he did not concede, continuing to run as he knew he had to. The world moved in slow motion as his foot caught on a stray beam that had fallen a few days ago and the maintenance had neglected to attend to. His weight shifted and he slammed into the floor, knocking what little air he had out of his lungs. His eyes slowly flickered shut and his body sighed in bliss at being able to stop moving. His eyes felt like the fire was gone but his mind screeched for him to get up and flee. The last thing he heard was voices shouting out his identification number.