Chapter 24

The progress was slow, with many stumbling errors but they slowly got somewhere. Cry stumbled along, forgetting letters while Felix calmly reminded him of the ones he could not recall. It was not all for nothing, some things remaining while other things did not choose to remain.

It was late in the evening when the two decided to head home yet Cry stopped Felix boarding their bus.

“Come with me” Cry said, dragging the Swede along. Felix just followed, not wanting to protest. Down roads and alleys, the two moved with haste, electricity sparking off the walls and floor. Feet splashed in puddles and electricity sparked between the droplets while Cry’s excited whispers and breath filled the air. Felix was silent as he listened to the energy crackle past his ears. It seemed to whisper to him, telling him to be calm and peaceful, to trust Cry’s judgement. Their steps echoed until they reached a rather fancy restaurant, lights glowing and velvet curtains dancing gently in the window.

“Cry... why are we here? This place is impossible to get into” The Swede said, looking to Cry with a doubtful expression.

“Just tell me how to spell our names” Cry replied, grinning widely. Felix gulped but spelt them out, watching his friend carefully. Finally, after it was all spelt, Cry clicked his fingers, sending a chill down Felix’s spine. Grip on his hand tightened as Cry pulled Felix up to the door.

“Who would you two be?” The Concierge asked, eyeing them suspiciously in their rather unfashionable attire.

“Is there a booking for a Felix?” Cry asked, crossing his fingers behind his back, something Felix noticed. The man turned to the small tablet sitting on the podium and pressed a few buttons.

“Yes... There is.” He said, making Cry turn to Felix and grin. “This way, please” The concierge led them between crowded tables to a vacant one by the window. Placing down two menu’s, he jotted something down on his notepad and gave a bow before returning to aid some other people who were waiting.

“This is amazing” Felix said, looking around in awe. Multiple chandeliers hung from the ceiling, illuminating the room with a golden glow. It was comforting, making Cry sigh as he leaned against the window. A man approached, pouring them each a glass of champagne and resting the bottle in some ice he placed on the table before leaving once again.

“I’m glad I managed to hack it properly” Cry said with a cheeky grin. Felix chuckled and looked in the menu. Cry smiled and lifted his, looking at the pictures.

They both decided to order something seafood. Laughter began to rise up from their table as they drank and chatted, talking about Felix’s job and the night Cry had broken out and slept in the forest. Felix sat, attention focused on Cry as he talked about the fireflies and how beautiful they were. He only broke from his story when the food was delivered and even then, he continued to speak and tell his tale between bites.

“And then-” The tale halted, fork hit plate, knife clattered to the floor and eyes widened as Cry stared out the window. Felix turned too, seeing some figure press their face right against the glass, staring hard at Cry. Cry’s hands trembled and electricity leapt between his fingers for a moment before he tore his gaze from the window and looked to his feet before the glass chandeliers in the room shattered.