Chapter 16

The feeling of warm water coursing down his body was enough to make him question if he was still alive. It ran over aching muscles and caressed tired limbs. The dirt and grime slowly washed away, staining clean water into a light brown and yet it still looked cleaner and healthier than the stuff he had been given back at the facility. A smile that refused to leave sat on his face as he washed his hair and body. As the water ceased to flow, he found himself cold but content as he grabbed the two soft towels and wrapped them around his naked form. Stepping out into the crisp air of the apartment, he looked at Felix, tilting his head in confusion while the other clamped both hands over his eyes.

“Cry, get dressed!” Felix shouted, making sure to keep his voice gentle and not scare Cry.

“I only have those clothes I was wearing before and they’re wet...” He trailed, looking to the floor shyly. “Why are you so grumpy about me being out here like this?” Cry huffed, taking the towel off and letting it drop to the floor before rummaging around in his bag for the new undergarments he purchased. Felix yelped and turned away, facing the wall.

“Because you’re naked!” His voice was more harsh now, making Cry wince.

“The scientists always made me change under supervision” He informed, rummaging through the plastic bag. He set his old clothes aside as he checked for anything else. Felix stood, approaching with slow pace and shock as he knelt by Cry.

“What is it?” The boy asked, looking down to Felix.

“These.... You wore these?” He asked, standing and holding the items. Cry nodded.

“What’s the big deal? He questioned, seeing nothing wrong with it.

“These are not clothes” Felix stated firmly.

They were borderline scraps. The “Baggy” hoodie was basically a green hessian bag with sleeves and a hood stitched. The shirt it covered was littered with gaping holes, revealing Cry’s stomach and most of his back. There were burn marks, meaning the electricity had torn it apart. The tattered jeans were rife with holes and torn stitching all across the cloth. The hessian bag was also littered with holes, although smaller.

“How... could you live like this?” The Swede asked, eyes filled with pity. Cry looked to the floor and leaned over to grab a towel and wrapped it around himself.

“I didn’t know any better” Cry muttered in his defence. Felix sighed but nodded, folding the clothes back up and placing them away before padding quietly into the bedroom. Cry sat on the couch and sighed gently, drawing his legs close and burying his head in his knees.

“Here” Felix said, handing over a pair of pajama pants and a shirt. Cry took it and nodded, sighing gently as the Swede left the room to let him change in peace.