Chapter 36

It wasn’t hard getting in. He’d found the forest with ease and although Cry’s scorch marks were hidden well, having seen them so often aided his vision. He followed them along, coming to a small building. He knocked and was greeted instantly, swept inside and handed a clipboard with spots for basic information. Felix filled it with haste, instantly having it taken the moment he was done and a lab coat thrown at him. He slipped it on, buttoning it and accepting the various things supplied before following his overly excited guide.

“So... what happens here exactly?” Felix asked, eyes widening for a moment “I-I mean, they didn’t tell me much about it”

“Here? We work on the ‘Specimen’. Subject Zero point three two electric” The man informed with a cheery tone. “He’s currently being prepared for the procedure. He broke out a few months ago but was apprehended” He pulled out a clipboard and checked it over.

“Does it hurt him- I mean, The specimen?” Felix quickly corrected himself, knowing they treated him less than human.

“It doesn’t matter to me. As long as I get paid and see some science happen, They can do anything to him”

“Heh... yeah, I agree” Felix answered, forcing a smile.

In truth, he didn’t. He was appalled. He felt ill.

The door was opened for him and he stepped in, eyes instantly falling on the chair. He gasped and almost dropped the clipboard in his hands.

“Cry...” The word was silent as his lips moved without noise. He remained as calm as he could, watching that limp body in the chair.

“Impressive, isn’t it? That thing can hold enough electricity to power a small town for a few hours. We haven’t managed to get that far yet but we hope to make his electricity stores much higher”

“Yeah...” Felix said, swallowing and forcing his composure to remain solid. They remained there until Cry awoke, Felix immediately feeling the other’s gaze drill into him.

“Would you like to start the experiment?” Someone asked him.

No. Hell no. He would not.

“Sure” He said, voice calm but his mind screamed and tried to persuade him otherwise. He stepped forward, looking at the button and lifting his hand. His gaze lifted, settling on Cry for a moment, seeing all those emotions in his gaze. It made him feel ill as he tried to mask it, slamming his hand down on the button and trying to pretend the whirrs of engines could drown out the painful screams.

The others moved off to have their break and Felix paused, looking to Cry before pressing the button on the control which managed the transparency of the glass. Making sure the others had already left, He closed the door quietly and stared through the glass at Cry, watching how his whole body trembled with the electricity as it ran along his body. His screams were agony to his ears and yet he knew he deserved to hear them for his punishment. He stayed there, just letting those screams imprint themselves in his mind.

It was his reminder.

That no matter what happened here, Cry was a person.

He was a person and he had to get them both out.