Chapter 3

The exit was close and yet, It seemed like it was a lifetime away. His feet dragged along the cold floor, having changed from metal to tiles which was a welcome change but still too hard for his preference. The need for sleep was overwhelming, Adrenaline having left his body tired and sluggish. He missed the adrenaline in a sense but he also adored being free, not being on alert and hyped up at every moment. The light was blinding for him yet it did not pain his eyes, rather they desired that light and although called it pain, it was a blessing. His hands settled on the door and he pulled it open, letting the light flood in. His body shouted out but it was in bliss as the light covered his form. Sunlight. Oh how he had missed this. Sunlight was a thing that lurked in the deepest darkest recesses of his mind and he wished desperately that they resided in more thoughts than late nights dwelling and pondering about what life he had been stolen from. The light caressed his mind with its warmth and for the first time in many long years, he smiled.

He stepped out from the cold sterile hall and into the sun drenched forest where he had been hidden for his life. The grass was soft underfoot and his body fought the urge to collapse and roll in the softness it held. He chided himself gently for wanting to give in so much but his body was so tired. The electricity within him began to emanate from his being, coating his body. He panicked for a moment before his thoughts about the energy became calm. The electricity was calm unlike inside the facility, something he chalked up to his subconscious being at ease in the calmness of the forest. He let his mind control the electricity, allowing it to carry him along in substitution of his feet. His body silently thanked him for allowing it to rest while his mind sighed in contentment at being able to control the strange electricity that resided inside him.

“You did it...” His voice was sore and worn but hearing it and no shouts afterward, telling him to be silent, was a blessing. He smiled. He did it.

He got out.