Chapter 35

The electricity just stopped. The thrum of generators fell silent and the electricity that had been crawling along the walls quietly fizzled away as Cry fell limp in his chair. A click sounded, unleashing his bindings and making him fall forward. Felix gasped silently, climbing hastily over the control panel and dropping to his knees in time to catch the fallen boy. He pulled him free of the chair and cradled him in his arms gently, looking at him up close for the first time in weeks. That once smiling face was twisted into permanent discomfort. The dark stains under his eyes had grown somewhat darker and more were beginning to form on his neck. His body was thin and frail, a shell of that boy he had befriended in his apartment. Sweeping his arms up and under his legs, Felix stood, carrying Cry with him. He looked around the room for cameras, finding relief when none greeted his vision.

“I’m gonna fix you up Cry, don’t worry” Felix whispered as he moved out of the room, running down the corridors with only the sound of his feet on steel as his companion.

He set Cry down on the hard stone floor, kneeling beside him with a bowl filled with clean water and a cloth. He dipped it into the water and brushed it across his forehead, cleaning away the sweat and dirt that had only accumulated over time. Leaving the unconscious form for a moment, he returned with several labcoats, throwing them onto the floor and folding them into a bare-bones pillow and mattress before draping one over his body, making sure he had some form of comfort.

“I’m really sorry you know...” Felix’s voice was quiet as he rested a hand on Cry’s hair, ruffing it gently. “I’ve been trying so hard to find a way to shut this all down but I can’t see anything” His words were laced with guilt and Cry’s unconscious mind cringed, effects visible on his face. “But... I am trying. Don’t think otherwise” He insisted. The uncomfortable look melted away and Felix silently gasped as he saw the dull glow under Cry’s skin once again illuminate. It earned a gentle chuckle from the Swede.

“Still trust me, huh?” He asked, smiling softly and remaining by Cry’s side, his own eyes drifting shut and taking him into the dark abyss of sleep.