Prologue

I woke up to the painfully throbbing of my head as I groaned and sat up. The car seat was cramped and uncomfortable, making my body hot and clammy. Not made for sleep. 

I would be lying if I said I wasn't pissed. 

Imagine having to leave behind your home of ten years because you were adopted. You see, I'm different from most other kids. I didn't want to be adopted. I liked the way my life was then. I considered it my home, my safe haven. My caretakers were the closest thing I had to family and the orphanage was the only place I'd ever known.

I stepped out of the car and slammed the door shut, dragging my belongings behind me and into my new home.

Don't get me wrong. My 'parents' Liam and Anne are great. I'm not firing at them, I just wished they didn't pick me. Out of 364 kids there, they just had to choose the most messed up one. 

I walk up the stairs, still trudging the hefty suitcase along with me as I follow Liam towards my new bedroom. When we entered, I admit, it was pretty cool to have a room for yourself instead of sharing it with a dozen other girls. I drew a long breath, soaking in the fresh scent of paint and set my things down in a small corner. 

I plopped down at my bed, the mattress sinking then springing me back up.

Tomorrow is my 'special' day as I'm attending a new high school. At the orphanage, schooling wasn't at an actual school. So, I've actually never been to a real school. The tall brick building, iron gates, and enormous doors. Nope. Never seen that before.

I'm just hoping that all goes well. That nothing from my old 'school' would happen here.

New life, new me.

I hope...