~Chapter 23~

{Shinya's POV}
Akane screamed and writhed around in her chair. "A-Akane... What's the matter?" I said backing away from her. "You're a monster. Get away from me!!" She screamed, tears running down her face. " I thought Shinya killed you" she whispered disbelievingly. "I am Shinya... Wait. You think I'm Makashima?!" I said feeling my skin crawl. "I'm not Makashima! I am Shinya!" I said cupping her face in my hands. She jerked away from my hand and cried into her shoulder.  "You don't understand, please. Just look at me" I said trying to convince her. "No. Just leave me alone" she said hiding behind her hair. I backed up and slid down the wall. I ran my hands through my hair and sighed. "What did they do to you" I whispered. She coughed loudly and gagged. I looked up at her. She coughed harder and threw up. I stood up and put my hand in her back. "Nuh uh" she said trying to pull away from my hand. "Hey, it's okay" I said rubbing her back. "I don't feel right" she said gagging. I untied her hands and legs. She latched on to me, whimpering. "It's going to be okay" I said running my hand through her hair. "Sh-Shinya, is it really you?" She said scared. "Yes. It is me" I said scooping her up. I walked her upstairs and out of the ominous building. "Where are we supposed to go? We can't go back there... I don't want to." Akane whimpered into my shirt. "We won't. It's okay, there's a small town about 5 miles away from here. Once we get there we can probably get our hands on a boat. We can head to America and just stay there" I said walking through the thick bushes. Her arms where wrapped around my neck. Her uniform had dirt and puke on it. "Okay" she said weakly. Her body went limp. I held her head up and maneuvered through the thick bushes. I made my way to a smaller clearing that was big enough for us to stop at.
I laid her disturbingly limp body down gently on the ground. I pulled off my jacket and wrapped it around her body. Her chest raised and fell slightly. I kissed her forehead and stood up.
I gathered wood and started a fire. The cold night was now warmed by the red flames.
I pulled Akane's sleeping body into my lap. She moved and curled up into a ball. Her head nuzzled into my chest. I pulled my jacket over her and rested my head in hers. I stirred the fire and stared into the darkness protecting her from anything too come.
{Akane's POV}
I woke with a searing pain behind my eyes. I shifted around on something warm and hard. It was different than the cold metal chair I had been tied to for who knows how long. I hesitated to open my eyes. I fluttered them open to see a persons muscular arm sleeved with a tight shirt and the dirt ground. I shifted and the fabric on me fell off.
Confused I moved to grab the familiar looking item of clothing. I took in a deep breath and a familiar aroma filled my nostrils. I was laying against a hard washboard of shirt covered abs. I was in a weird sitting position that's was surprisingly comfortable. Muscular arms were wrapped around me holding us both upright. I lifted my head off the familiar chest and looked at a sleeping Shinya. I wormed my hand out from my side and placed it on his cheek. I couldn't remember how I got in his arms and how we got wherever the hell we were, but I didn't really care. As long as he was with me it didn't matter.  He must have noticed my movement and his steely blue eyes where now looking into my brown ones. Before any words where said he kissed me on the forehead. When he pulled back and looked at me his eyes seemed to be so relieved. 
"Sorry to ruin the moment but how the hell did we get here?" I said pulling my head up further looking around at the trees and bushes. Shinya let out a small laugh. "What is it?" I asked worried I had said something wrong. "I'm just over joyed that you aren't crazy anymore. And to answer your question about where we are. We are in the middle of the forest in between the base and a small town" he said. "We aren't going back right?" I asked with a shaky voice. "Of course not. Not after what Elle did to you. It would be stupid and downright vengeful to go back" Shinya said wrapping an arm around my waist, pulling me as close as he could to him. "How are you doing?" I asked remembering the flashes of him bleeding to death. "I'm sore and have throbbing stitches but besides that I'm good" he said rubbing his chest softly. I put my hand on his and rested my head against his shoulder. "I'm glad." I said with closed eyes. "I missed you" I began " I missed the smell of you. I missed your warmth. I missed being able to curl up against you and I never want to feel that again" I said softly. "I think I drove myself thinking about you. I was willing to do anything to save you" Shinya said in the same kind of tone I had. "I love you Shinya" I said opening my eyes and looking up at him. He was quiet and I regretted saying anything. He took in a deep breath. 
"I love you too, Akane"