Chapter 9

Loki

I pound against the bars of the cell as they drag her away. She shrieks my name.

Loki. She touched my mind for one of the very last time.

Leidi.

For once in my life, I feel truly afraid. I'll never do anything but put people in danger. Odin turns to me. He stares intently with his one good eye.

"What does she see in you? What makes her think you'll change?" He asks me, knowing that I can't answer. I glare at him, wanting to lunge forward and wrap my long fingers around his neck.

Leidi is all I think of. I feel sick at myself. The other day, I was hoping Leidi would remove the thread. Now I wish I had swallowed that thought there.

Tears spill from my eyes. I never cried like this for anyone. Not Glut. Not Angrboda. Not even Sigyn. Yet, the tears come anyway.

Publicly executed. She doesn't deserve something like that. "She was willing to give you a chance," he says. Keyword is was.

The tears don't stop. I hate letting him see me like this. "Odin!" My mother's voice echoes through the hall, "what happened to Leidi? Why is she being executed?"

"She chose to stab me in the back. She questioned my decision," Odin is seething with rage. "I don't like your decision either!" Mother counters, "Someone was ready to give him a chance! She could've helped him! And you took that away!"

My mother is yelling now. Raising her voice at the big bad king. Stopping him from his lapse in judgement. "Give her a chance. Give them a chance," she says softly, her eyes pleading.

Odin looks between her and my sealed lips. He casts his eyes down and sighed. "Very well," he says in defeat. He turns and leaves the dungeon.

Mother wrapped her hand around mine through the bar. "It's going to be alright," she whispers, before disappearing after Odin.

I sit against the back wall of the cell, silent tears slipping out of my eyes. I hope that mother is right.

I'd do anything to see her again. If I could, I would tell her. Tell her how grateful I am to have her. I wish to thank her, for giving me the slightest chance.

If I could see her again, I'd never let her out of sight. But I do not wish to show any more weakness. If I tell her, then enemies will know exactly where to strike.

I reach out and touch her mind. If three days is all I've got, I'll make the most of it.

Leidi?

Loki!

Are you okay? Leidi, did they hurt you?

No not yet, but I think I'm gonna die.

No. Don't ever say that. You're not going to die. Not while I'm still breathing.

Don't interfere. I brought this upon myself.

No. This is my fault.

It's not. I could have left you alone. I could have avoided you. But I didn't. I didn't want to. I'm sorry.

I'm in a way, glad you were there.

You are?

Yes. I enjoyed our short time together.

You did?

Yes. And do not worry. Nothing will happen to you.

Promise?

You have my word.

I close my eyes and drift off to sleep, with Leidi on my mind. Just Leidi.