Chapter 6

“You’re home late” Stacy uttered, I gasped shocked that she was sitting in the corner of the dark living room.

Stacy is one of my sisters, 3 years younger than me. Long haired brunette with a purple streak, skinny, 5’4” almost the same height as me. Her eyes are brown, the same as me. Unlike me, she is naturally emo, having all black stuff and being very mysterious. At first, I thought she was stating the obvious and being rebellious, but she wasn’t, or maybe I just don’t know her at all.

She was 7 when our mum died, making me 10 years old. I’d say we’re okay, not too close, not too distant, just right. But whenever dad was around, she can’t talk to me properly like I was some disease or something. I was fine with it because as an older sister I didn’t want her to get in trouble with dad.

“Is dad home?” I was curious.

“He was here when I got home but left an hour ago” she explained, “He must be out on a business trip like always.”

“Oh okay, is Rachel around” I asked, curious of our baby sister’s whereabouts. She’s only 11, but I don’t see her often.

“Yeah, she’s in her room. No idea what she’s up to, but she’s moving to Aunt Lisa’s house from what I heard earlier so she may be packing right now” Stacy gave me the details that dad was talking to Aunt Lisa before he left asking if Rachel could stay with them while he’s gone, pretty much the whole year.

Pleased that dad was out of sight for a few weeks, I’d get to do things catch up on what I have missed. Don’t get me wrong, I love him but he changed over the years. He’s not the same, emotionally.

Rachel is our youngest sister; she’s 11 years old, brunette like all of us. Her skin was tanned, mostly because she loves the beach. Unlike Stacy and me, her eyes are blue like our mum’s. She’s like a carbon copy of mum to be honest, maybe that’s why dad loves her dearly, different than how he shows Stacy.

“I miss mum so much” she uttered out of the blue, making me weak and fall down.

It was the first time I’ve heard Stacy say it since forever and I guess it was one of those days when you just couldn’t help yourself. “I’m sorry” was the only thing I could say.

I went straight to my bedroom and dived into my comfy bed like it was a calm pool and I needed a break. I forgot the sadness I was constantly feeling even though Stacy reminded me before going up here because of what happened this afternoon.

It was different, feels like my old self was back. The old one that loves dancing. The old one that’s happy. It felt like everything back there was a dream. I was so close to it, but I knew it would be taken away from me if I held onto it.

If there’s someone who didn’t give up with me dancing, it was Aunt Lisa. She told me things will be okay eventually, my dad would let go. But through the years, it hasn’t. The pain I’ve caused everyone is still here. I was the reason my mum is gone. And as much as my friends and relatives think it was all an accident, I couldn’t let it go. I understand my dad… his pain.

There’s a part of me that hated myself because I just can’t let go of some things in life, mostly because I feel like dad would disown me. Being thrown responsibility at 10 years old, I didn’t have a normal childhood, or as a teen when I grew older. I missed a lot like having those dreaded talks with your parents regarding some issues growing up. I know others would think I’m odd for wanting that, but it was important to me. Not that school or my friends wouldn’t tell me about, I feel lost and lonely because I won’t be able to experience that. At a young age, I was deprived to be happy.

My thoughts stopped when I heard a knock on my door. “Come in” I said, sitting at the edge of my bed.

I was surprised to see Rachel leaning at the door frame, her backpack hang on one of her shoulders. “I’m going” she uttered, forcing a smile on her lips.

Rachel and I weren’t exactly close. We never talked or hang out what other sisters do. She didn’t like playing with me, maybe because I was a sappy sister who cared about unrealistic things and talked to myself quite a lot like a lunatic on wild.

“Stacy said you’re leaving tomorrow?” I asked, quite unsure, remembering my previous talk earlier, I must have missed it.

“Yeah, supposed to but Uncle Jeremy said it’s better to pick me up now” Rachel explained.

“Oh okay” as I agreed and stood up from where I was seated and went down with her.

Uncle Jeremy is, Aunt Lisa’s husband, already waiting downstairs in the living room. This time, the lights were on, and Stacy was still sitting in the corner where I previously saw her.

“Are you ready?” Uncle Jeremy asked Rachel. She nodded.

Uncle Jeremy started loading her things to his car, and in about a few minutes the living room was empty once again.

“You both sure you don’t want to stay with us? We have rooms…” Uncle Jeremy offered.

“I’m fine here” Stacy finally talked.

“I’ll stay with her” I said, pointing to Stacy. Being the older one, I couldn’t leave her alone.

“Alright, if anything happens, call us.”