Chapter 7

The house has been quiet since Rachel left. Actually, even if she was staying with us, the house was still calm. It’s been a few weeks and dad hasn’t come home, or even called. I’m not even sure if he remembers that he has kids waiting for him at the house, or something. Maybe he’d call but only to Rachel. But we’re totally not surprised because he has gone out longer than 3 weeks.

Ever since Rachel and dad left the house, for different reasons, Stacy and I have been out of the house as well. She also has plans with her friends, while I still watch the dance workshops being held at the community center, or go to the library.

“You’re still here to watch? When are you going to try and dance?” John was still trying to persuade me to join the workshop, telling me that the whole reason they’re doing it is for the people who wanted to learn how to dance.

“And you don’t give up, do you?”

Never Give Up is my middle name” he said cheerfully.

“I know your reasons, but I told you, I’m not like most people here. I don’t wanna do it because I don’t like dancing.”

“Okay, there must be a reason why you don’t want to do it because then if there’s none, how come you hate it so much?”

“I don’t hate it. I just don’t want to.”

“Sure, Ms. Waters.” He smirked and walked in front when he realized it was his turn for the demo.

Ms. Waters. Yep, he calls me Ms. Waters whenever he teases me into doing something. It wasn’t really called blackmailing because I don’t give in and he doesn’t threaten me. Well, I sure hope I won’t give in.

As soon as he was starting, I gathered my things and ready to go home. That is until someone stopped me.

“How come you don’t finish the workshop?” Eman asked.

“I had to get home. My sister might come home early.”

“Your sister?” he repeated.

“Yeah Stacy, she’s younger than me.”

“Oh” creating his mouth in an ‘O’ shape. “Well, be careful!”

“I will. Thanks!”

Autumn is one of my favourite seasons, close to winter, which means my birthday will be coming up soon, and I’ll be officially an adult. I was excited for some odd reasons. For most part, I’m not one to get excited over things. Being ecstatic for my birthday wasn’t me, but I know when I get much older, I’d regret being excited over it knowing I’ll be gaining another year to my age. (Sorry! I think I’m blabbing now!)

 As soon as I was near home, a silhouette of a man was sitting down on the steps leading for the front door. He was slouching with his knees to his chest and wearing a grey jacket and jeans.

“Jason?” I guessed. His face wasn’t looking at me and I didn’t recognize the jacket earlier in school. He looked up to me and confirmed I was right. “What are you doing here?”

Jason stood up from where he was seated and hugged me. “Sorry, I didn’t know I wasn’t welcome to come here.”

“No, it’s not that. You should have called me?”

“I thought you were home, or your sisters were, but there was no answer.”

“Rachel’s living with Aunt Lisa, and Stacy goes home later.” I explained. He still hasn’t answered my question and I didn’t want to repeat it either, maybe he had reasons avoiding it earlier.

I went passed him and unlocked the door. He was still standing outside when I went inside, I was actually thought he was following me. “Aren’t you coming in?”

He took a step and then later went inside, dived into the couch with his sad expression.

“What’s wrong, Jay?” I muttered with concern. Jason’s the type who didn’t sulk in corners, he was always chirpy, but I do know that some people create an aura just to trick people what they do really feel inside. But Jason’s not one of them. I knew him since we were young, and I was surprised because this is one of the rare moments he would feel sadder than me.

And much to my dismay, he didn’t respond. He just sat there like he didn’t hear me the second time.

“Wanna stay over?” I asked, having this suspicion that he didn’t want to go home, probably having some trouble and he wanted to escape for a bit to think about it.

“Thank you” he mumbled and I caught it. So he heard me previously, and just didn’t want to talk.

“Have you eaten dinner?” He shook his head while hugging onto one of the throw pillows.

It was a weird sight that it was Jason who wasn’t in the mood. I was sure that earlier in school, he wasn’t this grumpy. He looks cute when grumpy too, like a child who was sulking because he couldn’t go out and play.

“What are you staring at?” he asked, caught me looking at him the whole time. I was leaning on the wall, eyeing him, figuring out what’s wrong with my best friend but I couldn’t get any picture. Distracted by his cuteness, apparently I was doing it again.

“What?” he glared.

“Nothing, you look cute.”

“Cute, please. Can’t you make a better word, like handsome, maybe?”

“No, you’re cute when you’re grumpy,” I teased.

“Stop saying I’m cute.”

“Cute.” I teased and he sent glares at me.

“I told you, Kayla, I-“

“Jason, I didn’t even say you’re cute. I just said cute” I partly lied, reasoning out with him. “What’s wrong with you, you’re scaring me” I pouted and went to sit beside him. His gaze was still serious, tugging onto that pillow.

And once again, he didn’t respond. This time, I was silent with him. Hopefully, he’d talk sooner.

Guessing he’d lighten up his mood, I held his hand and went out towards the door.

“Where are we going?”

“We’re going out for dinner. Remember, you asked me out on the first day of school and I wasn’t available? I am now and I want to be with you.”