Chapter 54

"Dara?... It's really you." Jiyong said, slowly walking towards her bed. His knees were weak, causing him to kneel down upon reaching her bedside.

"We'll try to figure out how you can be of help, Jiyong. We've already called the healer... For now, we've prepared a room for you." Sean said while his wife was beside him.

He held her hand and squeezed it. "I'm here, Dara. Can you hear me?" He moved her hand towards his lips to kiss it while his tears started to trickle down his cheeks.

Dara's mother was about to stop Jiyong from further touching their daughter but her husband was quick to hold her by her arm.

He shook his head then whispered, "Let him."

"We're not sure what more danger this human can bring to our daughter." She whispered back.

"We already agreed about this, right?"

Hye-young sighed.

"This may work, my wife. He might be the answer."

"He's already near our daughter but nothing has changed."

"The effect might not be that fast. We have to wait for the Healer."

"What's taking them so long to fetch the Healer."

"Calm down."

She faced her husband."I can't calm down." More than anger, worry was visible in her reaction.

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation. Chaerin, Minzy and Bom entered the room together with the Healer.

"They're here." Sean reacted.

Jiyong faced them while wiping his tears. He stood up and bowed his head to the person who was with Chaerin and the other girls.

The Healer stared at him, amused. "The Human." She spoke.

"We brought him here to see if he can help." Hye-young told her.

Without a word, the Healer stepped towards Jiyong and touched his chest. "I can feel her energy in here." She said, as if talking to herself.

"Would this mean we have the chance to bring her back?" Sean asked.

"Please." Jiyong held the old lady's hand that's on his chest. "If this is what you need to bring Dara back, take it. Take it now, please." He pleaded with tears rolling down his cheeks.

"It's not that easy, Human." The Healer told him.

"Bring her back. I'll do anything. I promise, I'll do anything to bring her back. I know I'm prohibited to be in this world. I promise to leave as soon as she comes back."

Healer Hae-sook looked down and slowly pulled her hand from Jiyong's grip.

"What's wrong, Healer?" Chaerin asked.

"Dara has willingly gave that piece to this Human. Taking it away from him may..." She stopped mid-sentence.

"Tell us, Healer." Hye-young sounded impatient.

"It may entail the Human's life." She answered hesitantly.

Jiyong took the Healer's hand once more and placed it on his chest. "If that's what needs to be done, then do it. I won't mind."

"Jiyong..." Bom said his name in a whisper, shocked about the decision Jiyong was making.

"What did you just say?" Hye-young asked.

"I'm willing to give up my life if this is the only way to have her back... I can't stand the idea of losing her. Please! I beg you. Take whatever you need from my body to save my Dara." Jiyong squeezed the Healer's hand as he sobbed.

Hye-young covered his mouth and faced back. She closed her eyes and let her tears rush down from them. 'How can this human offer his life to save my daughter?' 

"Are you alright?" Sean whispered to her, holding her arms to support her weight as her knees slowly became weak. 

"It's not that easy, Human. We can't just take that risk. What if it still can't bring The Keeper back?" The Healer responded.

Both Sean and Hye-young looked back at their direction after hearing what the Healer said.

"We're still not sure that this is the solution for us to bring our daughter back?" Sean crinkled his forehead.

"Your Highness, we still are not sure if this missing piece is really the cause of why your daughter is still unconscious." The Healer replied.

"But we can't just wait here to find a solution. I'm willing to take the risk."

"Human, do you understand where you're putting yourself into?" Hye-young asked.

"I do. And I'm willing to give up my life for Dara's safety. Please, ask her to do what needs to be done." Jiyong looked at Dara before looking back at them. "She can't stay like this longer. We might be fighting against time. What if the clock is ticking and there's only little time left?" He continued while his cheeks were drenched with tears.

Hye-young pursed her lips and looked up to stop more tears from running through her eyes. "Are you firm with this decision, Human?" She asked him.

"Hye-young?!" Sean reacted.

"The Human might be right. What if this is our only chance?... What if we no longer have enough time left?"

"We can't take his life especially when we don't have the assurance that this will bring our daughter back." Sean said firmly.

"He made his choice, Sean. Who am I to decline it when it may be the only chance to bring our daughter back." She looked at her husband, looking helpless.

Sean looked at Jiyong with pity in his eyes.

"Please." Jiyong pleaded as he looked into his eyes. "We might not have enough time."

"Healer." Hye-young called the old lady. "When can we do it?"

"I'll do the preparations."

"That's good... I'm sorry, I still have other matters to attend to." Hye-young said then left the room without saying more.

The Healer bowed her head and left the room a couple of minutes after Hye-young stepped out.

Sean walked towards Jiyong and held his shoulder as he silently stayed by Dara's side, kneeling down while clasping her hand in between his. "Thank you." He whispered. "Thank you for doing this."

"I'll do anything for her." He answered.

"I'll let you stay beside her. You can ask anything you need. There are servants available right outside this room."

Jiyong nodded as a response, keeping  her gaze on Dara's sleeping form.

Sean tapped his shoulder and faced the three other Keepers. "Let's give him time to stay with Dara." He told them.

Wiping their tears, they followed Dara's father and headed out the room.

After he was left alone with Dara, he carefully caressed her cheek and forced a smile while his lips were trembling. "I'm sorry I might not be here anymore when you wake up... If you can hear me, always remember, I love you... You're the craziest and happiest thing that happened to me. I love you, Dara." He stood up and reached for her forehead for a kiss.