Chapter 7

"I thought you won't be back anymore." Jiyong said while he was seated on a wheelchair, being pushed by Dara. They were heading to the hospital's outdoor garden.

"I gave you a promise that I'll help you... I keep my promises."

They stop near a vacant bench and Dara assisted Jiyong in standing to move from his wheelchair to the bench, then she sat beside him.

"Ready for your therapy later?" Dara asked.

Jiyong patted his casted leg before he answered. "If you are to ask me, I would just rather go home and rest there... I don't want to see a lot of people."

"I know." Dara held Jiyong's hand that's on his lap. "But these people will help you recover fast.

Jiyong slowly pulled his hand away from Dara's.

"Keeping yourself away from people will make you more lonely. When you have a friend, you'll have someone to tell your worries. Someone who can listen and give you advice." Dara said.

"Keeping myself away from people will give me lesser chance to be left behind again." Jiyong looked serious.

"People come and go Jiyong. You should learn to accept that. What's important is the memory you've created and shared with them."

"What's to remember when you grew up with parents who only think of themselves? Dara, I was left alone when I was just 15. I took care of myself and grew up without parents' guidance." Jiyong's hand turned to fist on his lap.

"And that's why you don't give other people the chance to help you recover from that painful past?"

"You're not in my shoes Dara. You won't be able to understand."

Dara moved to squat in front of Jiyong to look at him face to face. She was smiling genuinely.

"I understand... and that's why I want to help you. I won't be here if I don't understand what you're going through Jiyong. I'll be a friend to you. I will do my best to bring that smile back to your life again... You accept me as a friend, right?"

"Do as you please. Just make sure to bring Tiffany back to me."

Dara nodded and gave a thumbs up to Jiyong. "I'll bring her back to you... Dadoongie and Bambi will help me do that."

The two birds flew on Jiyong's shoulder upon hearing their names.

Jiyong looked over his shoulder. "You know them?"

Dara nodded. "They're Dadoongie and Bambi."

"They're the birds I saw before I encountered the accident, right?"

Dara nodded again.

The birds chirped.

"They said they were worried about you and it's nice to see you're now okay." Dara relayed the birds' message.

"Thank you. I'll be able to walk properly again in a few days so there's nothing to worry about." Jiyong said and patted both the birds' heads with his index finger.

The birds flapped their wings.

"What did they say?" Jiyong asked Dara.

"They want to stay with you too."

"Instant family, huh?"

"HAHAHA. You can say that." Dara laughed.

"I want to let you know Dara, I'm not a person who's easy to handle... If you are to leave, please let me know. I just don't want to be left hanging."

"I can only stay with you for 5 full moons... that's 5 months time... and I won't be able to come back to your world after."

Jiyong gave her a questioning look.

"An agreement I had with my father and mother."

"5 months?" Jiyong asked.

Dara nodded. "5 months of Dadoongie, Bambi, You and I together... It will be a bit chaotic during those days for sure. Nevertheless, I'll make sure that my promise will become a reality." She grinned.

Jiyong extended his arm and offered his hand for a handshake. "Looking forward to working with you for 5 months..." He smiled a little. "As a friend."

Dara smiled back. "Thank you." She said as she accepted Jiyong's handshake.

"For what?"

"For allowing me to step into your world and help you."

"I should be the one thanking you for giving me hope that I can have Tiffany back again."

Dara's eyes were clouded with tears and she looked up to stop them from falling.

Jiyong looked up the sky. "I think it's gonna rain. It's getting dark."

"It's because you're making me cry." Dara said.

Jiyong looked back at Dara who's trying to stop her tears.

"Your tears are connected with the rain?" Jiyong asked, amazed.

Dara nodded while breathing in and out continuously.

"What are you doing?"

"It's my breathing exercise to stop my tears." Dara answered while her lips were puckered to breathe out.

Jiyong cupped his hands on Dara's eyes. "Please don't cry. Let's not ruin the nice weather."

Dara took one last deep breath then exhaled.

"You okay now?" Jiyong asked, hands still cupped on Dara's eyes.

Dara nodded and he slowly took his hands off her eyes and pointed his index finger on Dara's forehead.

"I should make it a point not to make you cry or else the weather's always gonna be so bad." Jiyong chuckled.

"You have to be nice to me for 5 months that we'll be together." Dara grinned.