Emily's Journal

April 2nd, 1855

I finally found him, the love of my life. He is so charming, intelligent, beautiful and kind... His name is Edmund. And I love him!! But Father would not approve because he has already given my hand to the son of the mayor. I met him this morning in the wooded in front of the house. I was picking flowers and he appeared to me with a floral wreath attached by ribbons. He smiles at me and friendly asked if he could put it on my head «because a so attractive young lady has you had to wear the beauty of her soul for all to see! As a floral wreath representing it." We have spent the day discussing. He lives on a farm not far, situated on the other side of the river Gold Brook. He is poor but rich in knowledge. His brown hairs are tied at the back of his neck and he has the sun-tanned complexion of the work in the open air. He eyes are amber coloured, as leaves falling in autumn. He is so beautiful!

I feel disheartened... How I am going to be able to marry Harold now that I found Edmund...

April 10th, 1855

I meet Edmund now every evening at the access of the covered bridge. Our love is so passionate as we have committed a hideous sin... But how could one thing call a sin when it is so wonderful! His kissed spike my heart and his caresses fire the blood in my veins... Ah Edmund! My body answers to his and we embrace ardently. Wooded alone knows our secret. And you my dear diary.

April 16th, 1855

Harold does not stop writing me... I have to control myself not to burn his letters! I feel so desperate... Why, we women cannot decide on our own fate? I do not stop begging Father to cancel this marriage. He does not want to listen to me. I cry all day, locked into my bedroom. Only my evenings with Edmund console me. The marriage is in a 1 month only, as a nightmare coming to haunt my nights. And I am letting myself drift toward it.

April 18th, 1855

An unusual thing happens this evening. A man offered to help us. In fact, he surprised us in our secret meeting place... We were talking when the latter appeared without a warning by our side. A gentleman undoubtedly; dressed well, he greeted us by bending slightly and took my hand to kiss it. He said that is a businessman only passing through and apologized for having surprised our conversation.

"Love of young people moves me and I am sorry about to see you saddened so. So I suggest helping you. But you will have to do something for me. "

He tells us that he had the power to cancel the marriage. But what he proposed us in exchange for this service is unthinkable...

We had to kill somebody for him.

We were speechless, literally incapable to pronounce a word! He summons us to think about it and would meet us here in two days.

April 19th, 1855

I turned and returned the situation in my head and I do not feel capable of such a gesture. I know that it has no sense, we speak of killing somebody, I should not even think about it! I would do anything to be with him! But not that. Edmund suggests we flee. Go on the other continent. But I like Stowe. And as terrible as Father can be, I cannot conceive leaving him. Edmund tells me to weigh well pros and cons because he does not want me to live a difficult life as he says that is what awaits me if I choose him. But the money cannot make my happiness. I prefer to work all day long to find me in the arms of the one I love in the evening than to live a life of lies with Harold. I know that Mother would approve. She always seemed to me unfortunate; I do not believe that she has manages to love Father as him loved her. She died from her broken dreams and nostalgia when I was only a child.

April 20th, 1855

This evening, we meet the stranger to tell him that we refuse his offer. This situation leaves me a taste bitter in the mouth, as if some bile was enclosing my heart. I have a presentiment, a bad presentiment.

~~~~

As reckon, the stranger did not like our decision... I am sure that his eyes became red with anger a brief moment. I must be crazy. He left by swearing that it was not the end of it. I am afraid. We shall have to run away now; there is no other solution with this man who hangs us above the head as the sword of Damocles.

Edmund knows somebody who can drive us up to the closest quay in secret. In 3 nights... It is long but I am going to take advantage of ii by spending time with Father. Anyway, we shall have to travel light thus I do not have much to pack.

April 22nd, 1855

I received a note from this strange character this morning. Well it has to come from him, it is not signed. There is only a word written: whore. I immediately tore it apart.

I have the impression to be in a nightmare and not able to wake up. Luckily, we leave tomorrow!

My wedding dress also arrived. It gags me but I have to admit that it fitting me well. Of a red Burgundy, it hugs perfectly my bust and is decorated with black lace dotted with pearls of the same color. I can see me going down the aisle towards my beautiful Edmond.... But our marriage cannot look like that in the exile.

I am going to wear my wedding dress this evening to surprise him.