Chapter 12

Chris's POV:

I just finished reading one of the books I took from the schools library and saw Reygan across the small room. She looked bored so I went over by her. I was about to say something but was interrupted by shouting that seemed to be coming from outside the bunker door. Sawyer told us to stay quiet while he went up by the door to hear what they were saying and to make sure it wasn't the rest of our group coming back this early. He listened for a bit and opened the door slowly. It must not have been our group. I decided to go up there because I wanted to know what was going on. Reygan and Max followed. I immediately recognized these people. It was the group that shot Reygan. Then I saw that little girl I've been seeing outside. She was a part of their group and she was probably spying on us the whole time.

"We just want the girl. We know she is alive." I heard someone say.
I was only peeking from behind the door with Reygan behind me but they couldn't see her.

"How would you know? You shot her and left her to die!" Sawyer responded.

"We did but we also made it seem like she was dead when you found her. You see, we gave her something that would make her sleep which made it  appear as if she was dead. After you would've thought she really was and leave, then we would have taken her but that didn't work out."

"But why do you just want her?" Sawyer asked.

"She is special. She would be a helpful addition to our group."

"Well, you can't have her. She belongs with us and not random strangers." I said as I stepped out from the door joining Sawyer.

"Look we really don't want to start trouble so just give us the girl and you'll never have to worry about us again. But we could use you in this group too." The guy said directing it to me. "How about we give you two choices again. Either the girl or this kid." He said turning to Sawyer.

I realized I was "the kid" he was talking about. What did I get myself into...

Maggie's POV:

Jack and I got out of the water and were back on our way to look for food. The original plan. We finally saw a Walmart up ahead. But there were also about two dozen crazies on the outside. There would probably be ten times more inside. We had our knives ready as we drew closer in case we attracted their attention. There were two sets of doors. One side only had at least four crazies as far as we could see. 

"Here, I can get those crazies and you find a car that works and we can drive it through the store." Jack told me. I guess it was a pretty good idea since we had no clue how many crazies we would be dealing with in the store.

I quietly looked through car windows to see if any had keys in them. I also looked around the cars to see if any keys had been dropped. I passed about five cars until I saw keys laying next to a pretty good sized car. I tried the lock and successfully got it open. Jack came over after he killed those crazies by the door. I let him drive since he knew how to get around Walmart easier. We closed our doors as quietly as we could. Jack turned on the car. We saw that it had a good amount of gas in it already. 

"You really know how to pick out cars." Jack said.

"Actually it was the first one I found keys to but thanks." I said laughing.

We then backed out of the parking space and drove toward the doors. They were automatic doors so they opened by themselves as we drove up to them. It was kind of dark as we got in with only the dimmed sunlight coming in from the windows on the ceiling. Jack turned on the headlights as well. It was pretty hard driving in the store since there were so many racks in the middle of the hallway but otherwise Jack had no problem. Surprisingly it seemed like no one came in here to get supplies.