20

The hotel Lauren's family was staying at isn't that far from our house so, the trip wasn't that long 'til I was standing in front of the maple door of our house.

It's been a long time since I last set my foot on this house and it feels good to be back again—nostalgic at the same time.

I've been holding my suitcase for minutes now—I know, it feels like I have this habit of waiting in front of a door in every house I go.

"Ms. Y/n!" A voice of a man approached from behind and I knew exactly who it was—Daniel Black, the caretaker of our house but he's more like a family to us.

"Daniel!" I watched as he jogged towards me, tackling me into a tight hug. "I missed you!"

"God, you don't know how different it is without you here," he said, not letting go of me.

Harrison, Daniel's father, was the caretaker of our house when I was younger. Since they were having financial issues, Dad insisted that they live with us instead, for the house is too big for the four of us; yes, Cailux wasn't born yet. Daniel grew up with us until he's sixteen and took over with his father's job when he got sick and died because of a heart attack. Daniel's six years older than me and he have always been my brother.

"I still miss your bright blue eyes at home, you know?" I chuckled, pulling away from the hug to see the ocean in his eyes.

Then Lauren came into my mind, her emerald seas that I'd be happy to drown on.

A silence fell between us, his hands gripping on my shoulder as he smiles with delight.

"I'm glad to see you again," he spoke with his voice gentle now, not like before that was enthusiastic and excited.

"I won't be here for long, though," I shrugged, looking down on the floor then back to him.

"I know," he laughed. "I know how whipped you are with that green eyed girl that you claim to treat her a trip in Europe."

I felt a bashful smile spread across my face, my cheeks heating up as Daniel flashes a devilish smirk at me. 

"C'mon, let's go inside because Ms. Shelby and Mr. Darius have been waiting for you for forever," he ordered and I laughed at how overacting he is.

"I told you stop calling us Mr. or Ms." I reminded him, pulling my suitcase as he opens the gigantic door.

In a split second, all the memories I had in this mansion came rushing back at my head. The serenity the paintings give me when I walk along the hallways of our house, the staircase that Sailor and I will be racing on and then Mom and Dad will scold us for running, the mixture of vanilla and fresh flowers that you can smell when you roam around, everything felt so good.

"Y/n?" A familiar voice called, making me turn my head towards the family room. It was Mom, she was fixing the Christmas  presents under the Christmas tree.

"Mom!" I let go of my suitcase, running to my mom and giving her the tightest hug I could give. "I miss you. The house is so empty without you guys there."

"Aw, sweetie," she replied, brushing my hair; a habit she has grown into since I was a kid. "You know it's more different without you."

"I guess there's no bully, yeah?" I joked, releasing her from my embrace and watched her laugh mildly.

"Definitely," a voice from behind said before we could even say something.

"Sailor!" I turned fully to them and saw Cailux in his arms, looking at me with her eyes wide. Good thing this baby remembers me even though we haven't spend time together that much when they're still at Miami with me. "Hi, baby Lux."