Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

                                                      Alexa

“It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends.” – J.K. Rowling

Two days had passed and Blaise and I were meeting regularly, training with our powers and, if we wanted to, with broomsticks, using them as pole-like weapons, otherwise known as bo’s (bows). But for now, we were up in my room, sitting on the lower bunk of my bunk bed and relaxing from all of the moving and training. I looked at my bruises. Blaise really liked weapons… well, something that could hurt someone in general… even if that something was a broomstick. I rubbed my bruises, sighing.

“Next time…” I pause, showing her my newly formed black and purple bruise on my arm, “…act!”

“What’s the point? I was doing it as softly as I possibly could… you bruise too easily.” She laughed, glancing at me.

“I’m anemic!” I defend myself. “We don’t have enough blood or iron, and basically what we do is bruise easily.” I shook my head and turned the radio on, the music filling the silence as we both leaned back onto my pink, body pillow. I looked out from my balcony window. The sun was setting and a sliver of a red moon could be seen: an indication of the high temperature throughout the day.

“You know what you need?” Blaise asks all of a sudden.

“Hm?” I reply, turning my head to look at her.

“A barrier… like, not around your house, hell no… but around your room… cuz’ you…” she looks at me, and her feelings finish the sentence: you can’t really protect yourself…

I sigh, “Fine…” slightly annoyed, but I had to admit: it was the truth. Plus, a barrier would put my mind at ease – it would keep out the danger and stop the worrying.

Blaise smiled and made her hands into a circle, placing them in front of her solar plexus, above her stomach. She closed her eyes, envisioning a red shield growing from the energy in her hands and expanding until it covered my whole room and my balcony. I had tapped into her feelings to figure out what she was doing.

“That should do it,” she finished and looked at me, answering my unspoken question, “Fire shield.”

“Oh,” I nodded, understanding.

“It’s not made of fire exactly… well… it is… wait…” she sighed, “I don’t know how to explain it. It’s more like the energy of the fire.” She finally surrendered, rolling her eyes.

“Ok…” I said slowly. I looked at the shield once more. “You mean, it’s a shield that has fire’s ability to burn, right?” Blaise nodded, seeming relieved to have it put into words.

Just then, my gaze fell towards the balcony. Someone was outside… but it wasn’t that man… I closed my eyes and saw a ball of light hovering above the railing.

Blaise gasped, seeing it also. She flattened herself against the wall and she suddenly had difficulty breathing,

“A – Alexa… I – I can’t see…” she whispers, eyes still glued to the balcony window. Her brown gaze was one of panic and fear.

I tried not to panic as well. I was useless when it came to things like this, “Oh God… oh no…” I look at the balcony and narrow my eyes, “Go away!” I almost yell. Apparently whoever it was, was ignoring me.