Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

                                                           Blaise

“It is difficult to know at what moment love begins; it is less difficult to know that it has begun.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Inhaling as much as I could, I plunged into the depths of the water. I kept a straight face as I saw something blue with silver on the edges, flash across the corner of my eye. I focused on swimming, propelling myself faster and further with each stroke. I was going to make it. I had to.

“You must go to the surface again.” A soft, melodic voice said, carried on the current. It was feminine. I risked a quick glance around and saw only a mass of curls swaying in the water. I kept going, paddling as hard as I could. The bottom was getting closer, I could see the seaweed, blurred, but still, it was there, waving in the currents.

“It is too dangerous for you here!” The girl’s voice sounded distressed and apprehensive. She swam close by me, but she always kept her distance. I paddled forward, getting slightly dizzy from the loss of oxygen. This had to be more than six meters, I was sure of it! Two more meters to go. With one final and determined stroke, I grabbed hold of the edge of some seaweed and snapped it off. Holding it tight in my palm, I pushed off of the sandy sea floor and tried to swim upwards. My lungs were screaming for air, but I had done it.

“You must hurry to the surface! We don’t want you to drown!” The woman told me and tried pushing me up. I shrugged her off and floated quickly to the top. If she were against us, she would have tried to drown me and Alexa…. I practically let myself be vulnerable, yet she was worried and warned me not to continue. Breaking through the water, I held the piece of seaweed high so both Alexa and Demeter could see it. They marveled at it and congratulated me. I nodded, catching my breath.

“I’m gonna…relax,” I said breathless and tired as I lay back in the resting position. I closed my eyes, keen on ignoring everyone and everything, focused on relaxing my muscles and getting my breathing back. Something that felt a bit too much like hair grazed my leg. I ignored it naturally and suddenly, felt nothing around me. I couldn’t feel the water lapping around me; I couldn’t hear Alexa and Demeter’s voices; I could only feel the wind whistling around me, before even that left. What is it this time?

Colors erupted behind my closed eyelids until they formed a picture. It was that of a sunset with a lush green hill. A really tall man with dark black hair, green eyes with tinges of silver in them, a bit of stubble on the chin and a long sword stood on the hill. He looked out towards the horizon, hand poised on the hilt. Two dragons were on either side of him, suspended in mid-air, facing each other as if they were about to start fighting. One was black with gold eyes and the other was blue with silver eyes. They started fighting above him, but who the hell was he?

Suddenly and unexpectedly, I find myself back in the water. I let my body drop down and wipe my hair out of my eyes. I looked over to where Alexa and Demeter were. They were far away and…was there tension in the atmosphere between them? I swam as fast as I could towards them. Upon noticing me, a wide smile spread across Demeter’s face and Alexa swam back a bit.

“Blaise! What were you doing floating that far away? Alexa didn’t let me come close to you or touch you! She’s mean!” Demeter whined.

Alexa looked taken aback by her statement, but added, “She said she wanted her rest, so we should let her take her time.”

I looked at both of them, then at Demeter. “Let’s go back to the boat,” I announced in a dead voice. Alexa looked at me surprised but I just ignored them both and started swimming towards the boat.