Chapter 16: Double Knots

Sydney's P.O.V.

"Sydney!"

I walked over to my door where the periodic table of elements for Chemistry hung, pressed down on the cold metal knob and opened the door.

"I'm coming, mom!" I shouted in a respectful manner, ironically.

I tied my shoelaces in double knots because single knots were too loose for comfort.

I walked over to the desk next to my bed post, held the ringing clock and instead of doing what most teenagers do with annoying alarm clocks, I buried mine under heaps of fluffy white pillows and many other strange articles of clothing. I judge my own fashion sense, weird, I know.

I slung my backpack over my shoulders and slid down the wooden banister before jumping off with a small thud.

"Sydney Addison Harper, girls do not slide down banisters," mom said halfheartedly.

"Mom, it's the 21st century. We do that now," I talked as I chuckled over my sentence. Not that it was funny or a comedy sentence of some sort.

"Girls of the 21st century these days," mom sighed to herself, emphasizing on '21st century' as how I said it, shaking her head disapprovingly before continuing, "Such poise and grace they have."

Mom was always the woman who gave you sarcasm out of the pot without any request. It would only make more sense if mom was not conscious of her sarcasm rather than if she was. What a mind twister.

"That's us. With such delicate poise."

I wasn't sure if 'us' quite supported as to what I meant. Because as far as I knew, I was the only girl who was 'different' and in all the worst ways you can stir up.

"Anyways, Aaliyah is coming soon to fetch you."

"Aaliyah? As in Aaliyah West?"

"Yes. Your very own cousin. What's so surprising about that? I find it easy to grasp and absorb. Oh, wait. Is that what 21st century girls do too? Being surprised about everything?" Mom's sarcasm was very well played.

"Yes, we do that. You know, we're actually really surprised about everything. Even when our moms use sarcasm for almost everything," I teased sarcastically. It's in the genes.

"Hah, funny. Aaliyah will be here in 5 minutes."

"Mmkay," I shrugged.

Why would my popular cousin even come to visit me? Won't it ruin her reputation or something like that? As far as I remembered, she hated me for that one time I showed up at her soccer match. I was just being a nice cousin and supporting her but I guess my stereotypical status had 'ruined' one night of her life. One night, and she overreacts about everything after. I went there to give moral support, that was what I received for such a deed. I could've been staying at home, watching National Geographic but no, I didn't. Eh, whatever.

***
I ran over to the door after hearing a thousand knocks, what sounded more like someone banging the drums really hard. I tripped over my own feet and crashed to the ground.

The door swung open and hit my face and I moaned in pain. Well, not a good day to start either. I don't know, whenever it came to Aaliyah, she usually drained my luck and she took it all, basically.

"Well, well. Isn't it the same cousin I remembered?"

"And isn't it the same younger-than-me-by-a-year cousin who acted like she hated me her entire life?"