Chapter 23: Trust & Faith

Sydney's P.O.V.

I sat in the car silently, slotting my hands in between my two thighs as I looked out of the window at nothing.

"Sydney?"

"It's not what it looks like!"

The scene kept flashing back like seconds of broken montages. I slapped my head and kept trying to destroy the thought of the awkward situation that only happened minutes ago.

"So?" Jayden coughed.

"It wasn't what it looked like, I swear. We were studying and then I got tired and he did too so we went to the kitchen and ate pizzas and ice-cream but then- you know how I like whipped cream on my ice-cream, right? Yeah, so then I put the can of whipped cream on the table after I put the cream on my ice-cream and we were so so awkward but then he suddenly smashed a handful of whipped cream in my face and everyone knows I'm revengeful, especially to my enemies. Okay, maybe not always but still; so I got a handful of whipped cream too and wanted to smack it like he did- in his face- but then he bolted out of the dining room and dodged every single one of my attempts so then I cornered him on the sofa and then we were struggling to stand our grounds but then he flipped us over and then that's where you came in," I finished with a sense of relief and took a deep breath from saying it so fast, I swear that I was lightning speed.

"You know," he chuckled," I didn't get any single word you said."

I sighed and hunched my back as jutted out my bottom lip.

"I'm kidding, I believe you."

I felt relief wash over my worries and nothing made me feel as glad as that- as I ever could be.

"I'm sorry, I thought you'd misunderstand," I said, rubbing my temples; not that I was having a headache, I was just frustrated.

"It's okay, Syd. You know, I think you've had a long day so I'm going to take you home."

"Well, will you stay longer then? My mom's stirring up some great meal tonight."

"Oh, yay!" He exclaimed as he cheered like a child. "What's it going to be?"

"Don't know, she said it was a surprise."

"Then, would it be best if I didn't interfere?" He asked, concerned.

"Hell, no. You're always welcomed in our house, according to her. She likes you and it's not exactly the first time you've stepped foot into my house and ran into her." I giggled.

"Well, great. I know whatever she's cooking up, it'll be fantastic."

I nodded in agreement.

"Hey, Syd?"

"Yes?"

"When's the makeover you wanted?"

"Probably like the next week, I'm just going to slack on the weekend. Plus, it's Friday."

"Oh, great, am I invited to this life-changing moment?"

"I don't know. My mom wanted in when she heard about this, you know how she is. I was thinking of surprising you. I mean, it's spontaneous. I don't know how I'd turn out but we'll see."

***
I groaned.

"There's nothing up my alley on the telly!" I complained.

"Well, it's better than staying in your room and do-," Jayden said and stopped as a knock on the front door interrupted our conversation.

"I'll get it!" I said as I walked towards the door, making sure I don't trip over anything like the usual klutz I was.

"Yo," Asher greeted.

"What are you doing here?"

"Oh, your mom invited me over for dinner. The rest of the family couldn't come so I represent all of them tonight, I guess."

He shut the door by himself as he lounged on our couch like it was his home. Frankly speaking, I don't know if I should feel glad he could make himself at home without being told to or that I should feel uncomfortable by how comfortable he's making himself in my home.

"Oh, hey Jayden."

"Uh, hey. You're early for the dinner. Mrs Harper has dinner at 7," Jayden said awkwardly.

"And you're here early too," Asher laughed.

I sat next to Jay on the floor as I dug my hand into the bowl of nachos.

"What brings you back here?" Jayden asked as he flipped through the channels.

"Why's everyone asking me that? I'm just back, is no one happy with that?"

"No, it's just strange. We thought you were better off where you went. I didn't even think I'd see you again," I admitted.

"Well, I'm back and I'm back for good," Asher said with a wide smile on his face.

All three of us decided to drop the conversation. It was pointless asking someone who would say the same answer every time you asked the same question.

"What's up with Damien? He was always detached but seeing you three together at the prom made me feel like a proud father," Asher said as he stretched his hand in between us to reach the nachos.

"I don't know," I said with a heavy sigh.

"Why the frown?"

Jayden cut in between,"He's the school most popular guy now. His social status makes us rock bottom low. Plus, he's never been with us since the very beginning."

"And?" Asher said, like he expected more explanation from Jayden.

"And, he still bullies me. But he's been acting different lately so I can't figure out where he stands anymore," I said, shrugging and getting another handful of nachos.

Jayden announced that he was going to the bathroom and we acknowledged it as we continued our conversation.

"He still hasn't told you after all these years?" Asher asked.

"Told me what?"

He sighed," He likes you. He has always liked you."

What?

***
A/N
Hey, guys!

I'm so sorry for the delay! This chapter is boring but the ending screwed me up.

I honestly never thought I'd write it that way but yes, now it's got you thinking about her whole future (lol)

Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter!

See y'all in a bit.

Yours truly,
confetti_romancer