Chapter 18: Extra Heartbeats

A/N : Embrace yourselves.
***
Chapter 18: Extra Heartbeats
Damien's P.O.V.

Thin lines of bright lights flew everywhere around the gym which seemed to have overthrown the similar outfits everyone wore since it clearly drew my attention more. The overlapping sequins embedded on dresses, scintillated their reflections everywhere in the gym.

"Hey!" someone exclaimed, tapping my shoulder.

It was Kiela dressed in blush red A-lined one strap chiffon cocktail dress that was beaded with jewels on the torso up and was backless. I'd been to too many proms and dances with Kiela to know how to describe her dresses in detail.

Clearly, her aim of wearing this dress was to show her busts and cleavage- no surprise there.

"Hey, babe," I greeted her.

Damien, time to put on your little show. Kiela can't find out that I'm not into her, or that, I never was. Tonight, I have to make her feel like she's still mine and I'm still hers.

I took a deep breath and had the word, 'focus' engraved on my mind.

Kiela smiled at me and handed me a cup of punch, the school's typical all-time favorite go-to drink for a prom before the booze goes around and everyone gets drunk. After the teachers and supervisors leave, that is.

"So, what do you think of me in this dress?" Kiela questioned and spun on her heels that looked too tall for her to even stay stable on.

"Hot," I said, taking a sip of my drink. That has been my answer for years whenever she asked me how she looked. Yet, her eyes look so bright and joyful whenever she hears that answer, even up till now.

"Aw," she cooed, "Do I look fat?"

Shit.

The crucial question that every male in existence hates.

One wrong answer and that's decapitation for you.

"Hell, no," I denied.

"Well, my boyfriend looks strapping though, as he always does," she complimented. And, that was her favorite go-to sentence to tell me every time she sees me in a tux.

People were flooding through the door with their prom dates and my heart was pounding madly because of all people, one person's presence I looked forward to tonight was missing.

Of course, who else could it be?

Sydney Addison Harper.

But I had myself so excited for no reason. It's a waste just to have extra heartbeats over anticipating for something that will never happen to happen.

She's Sydney Addison Harper and she hated parties, proms and all these things since she was an infant, or so to speak. Besides, who would want to show up to a prom dateless? That'll be like reaping your own death sentence.

***
After a solid half an hour of chit-chatting with my buddies and Kiela's infamous squad, everyone parted into two sections.

"What's going on?" Kiela questioned profusely.

I shrugged as she hooked her arm around mine.

"Ugh, attention seeker!" Someone in Kiela's gang scoffed.

I mean, I inner-scoffed too at her statement. Not in agreement but because she's on of the attention seekers herself.

Huh, that's ironic.

Everyone's mouth hung agape as someone walked through the parted crowd.

She looked beautiful and marvelous just by the side view in her long blue cocktail chiffon dress with its torso laced in white.