One

There is never a distinction on whether people will see you as a hero or villain. Your intentions might be good but that is always in the eyes of the beholder.

Once the dust settles and the growls and snarls subside all that comes to view is the blood.

The crimson thick liquid drips from my fingertips and pools at my feet. Blood trailing from my hands to the bodies that lay before me.

Blank stares, mouths gaped, and skin clawed to the bone. Their bodies stacked upon each other as if on display just for me.

I'm a monster.

A monster.

A heaviness settles on my chest as the bodies blur with hot tears.

Fading into darkness is the nightmare that lies before me.

"No, I..." there are no words to express the pain that is building in my chest. No way to release the build-up in my body.

Air gushes to my lungs like a wave as my eyes dart open. The hot and heavy presence pins me to the bed by my shoulders and I want to scream.

Realease the anguish that remains in my weak mind. Cry like the little girl everyone sees me as, a child.

"Melody," he voice alerts my mind this is a dream. His face inches from mine as he assesses my expression, with furrowed eyebrows he slowly presses his forehead to mine.

"Chase," I whisper I swallow hard the lump in my throat.

"Melody," he whispers in despair. "Melody, you're fine. You're okay," he recites the words over and over unsure if he is trying to convince me or himself. His hands press against my back pulling me closer to his chest. His warmth relaxes me as I realize that my body has seized from shivering.

Chase pulls away and I stare deep into his concerned eyes. I gasp for more air to fill my lungs. The worry etched on his face makes me recite the words he is saying.

"I'm okay," I whisper. The hammering of my heart states otherwise but I have to make him feel as if I am fine.

But am I, really?

Looking at my body I see nothing. Trembling hands lift towards my face and there is no blood. No evidence that I hurt anyone. There is no blood to be found. 

At eighteen you would think that nightmares were a thing of the past. But, these horrible dreams haunt my sleep unleashing a dark side of my wolf.

A dark side of me.

I tried running away from my past and enroll in school. Study and perhaps get a part-time job that would take my mind away from what I went through. I needed time to find myself and at home, I did not get that. Everyone seems to know what I am supposed to be, everyone except me. 

My parents still want to have me close by but they understand, my father more than my mother but that is understandable. 

There is no one here to watch over me like a hawk other than Chase, my mate. There are times that I notice that this is a huge burden on him, tonight being one of them. This would not be a big deal but I know that he already has enough on his plate.

His arms wrap around me and he presses his forehead against my hair not caring that I am covered in sweat once again. His chest rumbles as he hums into my hair.

"What did you dream about this time?" He whispers as his fingertip tilts my head up his eyelids heavy with exhaustion.

I know that he hates that I am scared and he cannot do anything about it.