Ten

Chase's POV

Beth has taken refuge in Nate's room as I am on the verge of losing it.

The machine beep as I sit next to my mate.

I have already snapped at the doctors for having the restraints on so tight that they bite her skin. Her resting-state makes my own wolf drowsy.

Her wolf has not opened up her mind so that I can at least see what she is going through. Feel what she feels.

"What the fuck are you doing Eve," I snap. The air seems heavy in the room but I refuse to leave.

"Chase," Beth whispers by the door but I just grind my teeth. "Quit the angry mate act and appreciate when someone is trying to help you."

Beth manages to obtain a small cot and a pillow. I thank her but I refuse to sleep until I know she is truly fine.

The sunlight spills through the window as I watch over her. Doctors come in but she is still the same. Eve refuses to surface and she is pissing me off.

She is the one that caused this. She is hurting Melody and now refuses to face what she did.

The morning light spills through the curtains as my aching body adjusts to a different position for the hundredth time. The metal armrest has embedded its mark into my skin and my back cries for some type of relief.

The cot sits by the door long forgotten until metal screeching makes me cringe.

"How is she doing?" Hunter is at the door as I glance back. The cot is pushed out of his way as he enters the room.

My wolf forces me to rise at the presence of his alpha.

"She is still the same," I sigh out. "The doctors have not said anything new. Where's Alpha Hunter?"

A scowl pulls at his lips as his eyes fall on his daughter.

"She thinks that I am following some leads but I haven't told her about Melody yet," his amber eyes harden as he looks up at me.

"I won't tell her anything," I promise. "How is Melany holding up after..."

"She is keeping it together for the good of the pack. Melany is looking for clues towards who would do that to him."

I bite my tongue as I nod at him. Melody mentioned Dante's name last night but I have no idea why. I do not want to lift Hunter's hope and then find out it was nothing.

Hunter orders for me to get some breakfast. He said that he will look over Melody.

The coffee does nothing as I sip it quietly. People talk quietly among themselves as if they were in a library.

She is strong. You know that.

She is but so is Eve. What if she is able to subdue Melody and I lose her.

My wolf stays quiet, we both know that this can happen.

We both know what we have to do if that happens.

Melody's POV

The heaviness lifts allowing for my eyelids to pull apart, "Nate," I gasp as I take in the florescent lights. My arms are hooked up to machines as they beep around me.

"Melody," the concern in his voice makes me gulp. "Sweetheart."

"Dad," his worried eyes lock on mine. "Where am I?"

"Don't worry about that how are you feeling?" His amber eyes melt as he looks down at me.

"My head hurts but I'm okay," reaching out to him there is a tug. Cables connect to my arms as I stare at them confused.