Fourteen

"Oh my God," Nate watches me with sadness in his eyes. My heart hurts just as it always does when I talk about that night. "I'm so sorry." This is the part that I hate. 

What does he have to be sorry about? 

That was all me. 

That was all my mistake. 

I am the one that needs to be apologizing, not him.

I wipe the tears that spill out and shrug looking down. "Do you understand? Do you? That is why Beth is on me about you! She knows about Hector." My voice cracks at the mention of his name. She knows about the worst night of my life and holds that against me.

He sighs, "I'm sorry about what happened I truly am but that does not mean it will happen to me." 

I know that I am not good at hiding my feelings when I am caught off guard but Nate seems not to care since he blatantly stares back at me.

"Damn it, Nate. I just told you that I was not able to protect my own family. He was close to me and I couldn't be there for him. What if I lose you because I couldn't be there for you as well?" His eyes soften and there is a small smile tugging at his lips.

"I knew it." He leans in closer assessing my reaction.

His reaction surprises me, "What?"

"I knew that you were not paying attention," he leans back into his chair with a triumphant smile.

"Paying attention to what?" Nate is clearly off his rocker. I have no idea what in the world he is talking about.

"Ha, maybe you are blind. Melody, those wolves," he glances around and leans closer once again, "are scared of you." He whispers before he makes another scan of our surroundings slower this time, "well, scared is an understatement. I don't know much but I do know that they're terrified of you." 

"Terrified? Why?" What is one little wolf going to do to them? Hell, they can take me down if they really wanted to.

He shrugs, "All I know is Xander is ready for a challenge and my bet is on you. He thinks that you want to take on your own pack, which makes sense." Now he is clearly insane. What hell is his problem?

"Why would he think that?" I swallow down and suddenly I feel a bit sick.

"Well, you are the daughter of two alphas. Not one but two," he holds up two fingers. "Even I see that your wolf is stronger than you lead on." He crosses his ankles as he leans further into his chair. 

"How?" I'm so confused.

"Jesus Melody," he huffs out in frustration, "you have three ways to fight. Normal wolves only have two. If that wasn't enough you have two packs that will lay down their lives for you no matter what and maybe a third in the future."

Suddenly the room seems to shrink three times its size. The air seems to have evaporated and my lungs start to burn.

Is this really what Beth, Adam, and Xander see in me. 

Nate, the human is this group, seems to believe so.

"Nate, I have to go," pushing my chair back I rush away from him. Away from campus. I need a moment to get my bearings.

There is no way that they believe this. I do not even have full control of my wolf and they think that I want to lead their nonexisting pack.

The steering wheel is controlled by my wolf as my mind tries to locate her.

She is not hard to sense since she is waiting for me as well.

The car skids to the side of the road as it barely stops I am out of the car.