Eight

The cloudy sky looms above the forest as the Range Rover speeds down the road towards my parents' territory.

Chase has not answered me through our mind link or phone calls. The tight grip on the steering wheel sends a dull pain up my arm but at the moment I push the pain aside and think about the road.

"Where the hell are you?" I clench my jaw as my foot pushes harder on the gas pedal.

The packhouse comes into view and the entire pack is out. People running and men holding the mates and children. My father is among them as I slam my brakes and get out.

"Melody," Chase walks out from the crowd and wraps his arms around me.

"What's going on?" I gesture to the chaos. Women look frantic and the men are holding onto them as if someone was threatening their well-being.

"Sweetie," my father makes his way towards us and I pull away from Chase into my father's arms.

"What happened?" I ask again as Chase frowns and my father shakes his head.

"This is not the place," he whispers.

"Where's mom?" Just as the words leave my lips my mother walks out of the trees.

Andrew comes out behind her as he shakes his head and he walks straight to my aunt. They whisper to each other as I rush to my mother's side.

"We need to hold a pack meeting, tonight," there are murmurs through the crowd as her pack agrees.

"Are you okay?" Her smile is a deceiving one, reserved for when she stands before her pack.

"C'mon," she wraps her arms around me. Her hold is secure, holding me as if covering from whatever danger may be lurking in the trees.

"You got it?" My father looks at Chase and he nods.

What is going on?

"Sweetie," my father glances at me, "you have class in the morning you should head back home."

"This is my home," well it was supposed to be.

"It is," he takes a deep breath through his nose, "but we have some business to attend to and so do you."

Chase replaces my mother's hold on me and he leads me back to the car.

"Chase," I stop walking.

"We have to go home," he avoids my eyes.

"Like hell, I am unless I know what is happening," I grind my teeth.

"I'll tell you," he sighs, "when we are heading back. I'm driving."

The first five minutes in the car are silent. Chase has always let me pick the music but at the moment I do not feel up to the challenge. All I want to do is explode and demand to know what is going on but the look of uneasiness in his eyes mirrors my parents.

Something bad is happening.

Her words echo in my mind. I know but what am I suppose to do when no one wants to talk.

"Chase," my voice is sweet and innocent.

His eyes stay lock on the road but his shoulders sag, "Melody."

"From a scale from one to ten," I inhale deeply, "how badly do you not want to tell me?"

His adam's apple bobs as contemplates his answer, "You know I have a hard time lying to you."

"I know."

"It is a solid seven."

Seven? We can work with seven.