Six

The room is empty except for the small window letting in a sliver of light guiding me to the door.The beat of my heart rings loud in my ears as I concentrate on any sound that I might miss.The unsettling feeling in my stomach forces me to push myself towards the door. With the utmost care, my feet feel around until I feel the ledge and it seems as if there are stairs before me.Footsteps against stone echoed through the empty building or so I thought. My heartbeat and breathing are all the can be heard around me that is until...

The screams of a man ricochet off the walls.

"Please," he begs as my footsteps quicken, "don't do this to me!"

My hand glides over the brick wall giving me a sense of direction as I run in the darkness.

Where are you?

"You are a pathetic excuse for an alpha," another man's voices booms into my ears and I can follow his easily. "You watched your whole pack die and you think you deserve to live," I can hear the smile in his voice and my stomach churns.

"Then kill me but know that my family is more than just my pack. You wait until B. finds you then you'll be living a real nightmare," his heavy breathing pushes me to find him.

"B. That's all you're willing to give us. That stupid letter. If you want to live you have to give me more," the man hisses.

The humorless laugh stops me in my tracks, "Just you wait. My death will be avenged. B. knows more than you think."

"Oh really," silence engulfs me and panic rushes through my veins. The sudden rush has me running down the steps stumbling over my own two feet when the flooding light pours down on me.

A blonde male stands before a battered man. His dark hair is drenched in sweat as his bruised cheek and eyes stare down at the man before him.

The assailant has his back towards me but the blade in his hands reflects the light from the fluorescent lights above.

The battered man has his wrist and ankles chained to a wooden horizontal platform.

"Stop!" I yell but it seems as no one hears me, "don't hurt him."

The assailant takes a step closer lifting the knife and the chained man appears to have settled on his fate.

My vision blurs at the scene before me. The anger and fear still my body as the man presses the blade to the other's man throat, "Every cut, every scream, and every tear you lose your power and the one to drink the liquid of life will gain your power."

"Don't touch him!" The blade digs into his skin and his shrill cries tighten my chest. "Please leave him alone," the light faints slowly into darkness as his screams fall into a deadly silence.

☯️ 

The next day Chase and I take a small detour to the café close to campus. When I order two coffees Chase arches an eyebrow expressing his curiosity.

"It's for a new friend that I made in my classes," he nods and shrugs it off.

"Good thing I didn't want you to be all alone at school," he states.

"I know," I sigh as the barista hands me the coffees.

Chase holds my coffee as I carry Nate's.

What if he doesn't show up?

Well, then I guess I'll be drinking two coffees then!

I thought you preferred tea.

"Well, things happen!" The words rush out of me and Chase quirks his head to the side.