Its happening

It's finally time! As I cautiously descend the grand staircase, people stop whatever they're doing and stare at me. I freeze, not remembering what I'm supposed to do. I should have listened to mother. As I scan the room, my eyes fall onto my parents. My Mother slightly widens her smile and makes a dancing motion. I guess I have to find someone to dance with. As I scan the room for the lucky fella, a rough but handsome man catches my eye. As I take a couple steps lower to get a better view, I notice it's Nicklaus! I slightly pick up my speed and head in his direction.
Thankfully, the crowd disperses so I can pass by. I don't even notice the disappointed faces as my eyes are locked with Nick Benner's.
I notice he takes a hesitant step forward but starts walking when he is certain I am going for him. We finally reach.

"Is that Nicklaus? Our daughter chose Nick?" James whispers to his wife.
"Maybe she doesn't know it's him." My mother replies hesitantly.

The music begins. Hand in hand, we make our way to the center of e ballroom. We start dancing and as if that's the key for everyone else, they begin dancing as well. My attention goes back to Nick.
"Do you know who I am?" He suddenly asks.
"Well Nick Benner. Who else you silly fool!" With that he seems to want to say something but stops himself.
After some time he says,"I don't think your... Father will be too happy about this. For all I know, he might kill me if I dance with you any longer." Even with that said, they keep dancing.
"Let's go outside."
"The music doesn't play out there."
"Well who said we had to dance. If you're going to be my husband, we should at least catch up on the past eighteen years. Last time I really saw you, I didn't even know how to form a sentence."
"Anna, I am never getting married. Never mind that you are nine years younger than me."
"We will get married. You'll see."
"I'm sorry  but after Natasha, I won't let myself be hurt again by a girl."
By then, we've stopped dancing and we're just standing there, no contact, in the middle of the dance floor.
"I am not a girl anymore. Do you not know the difference between a woman and a girl?"
"You just turned nineteen! I am twenty eight. To me, you are a girl."
I can feel a tear of disappointment coming but there's no way I'm letting it fall.
"If I'm such a girl, why do you look at me like I'm an Ice Pop ready to be licked?"
"Anna! How dare you speak like that!" Suddenly I hear my mother's sharp voice behind me.
"I was just explaining the way he looked at me while we were dancing. You can't scold me for telling the truth. Plus, I'm not a child. And to add to that, I find Ice Pops very tasty and sweet." With that said, Nick and my father burst into laughter. They then look at each other and walk off in different directions, leaving my mother and I alone. We walk off to the tables and eat some food that was served to us.
The rest of the night was people who claim to know me yet I have never seen before in my life, talking to me about adulthood and all the boring stuff that comes with it.
Nick must have left long ago because I didn't see him once since our dance. And like I told my mother, I didn't dance with anyone after my first and last dance of the night.