OF - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Where have you been?" April came out of nowhere suddenly clinging her arm around mine. I was on my way to my seventh period.

I know she's referring to lunch when I didn't show up. I know I'm supposed to make her an exception to the Spanish excuse because she's my best friend, but in respect for Mr. Ward, "I needed to have a make up class with Ms. Kate for missing nearly half of the period today."

My problem with April was, she easily reads me especially whether I'm bluffing or not.

I avoided eye contact with her as we strolled through the not-so-crowded-anymore hallway of the building.

"Okay, we arrived in school with a couple of minutes left before the start of third period. How is it that you missed almost half of the period?" I frowned. She was going to find out soon.

I opened my mouth to start explaining but the bell went off signalling the start of seventh period and of course, I'm late again. Being late for class is starting to become a bad habit for me, but so is April.

"Better head off, Telly. We're still in the science wing," she held on to the door knob right in front of us.

"And I should be in English, crap. I'll wait for you at the parking lot okay?"I bolted off through the empty hallway and I heard April shout something but all I caught was "I-"

I slowed down in every corner of the hallways to avoid having the same situation earlier, and before you know it, I was standing in front of the English room. With a deep breath, I opened the door and when I looked around, the students were scattered around the room, having conversations with their own friends, and no teacher was around.

I spotted Leroy at the far right of the room by the window talking to someone who had his back on me. I walked towards the seat behind him and found out that the guy he was talking to was Glenn. He was in my seventh period too. Right.

Glenn looked at me as if I was calling him with my gaze and he flashed a closed mouth smile.

I'm supposed to be mad at him, but at that moment, I felt like I want to smile back. I pushed away that urge and looked at the other way. My nose tingled and I felt tears forming in the back of my eyes. Damn my sensitivity and emotions.

"Telly!" a familiar voice called from behind me. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I was spun around to face a grinning Leroy. "You're here!"

"No I'm not," he looked confused for a second. "Sarcasm by the way," I rolled my eyes.

"So you're making being late a habit huh?" he smiled a half smile. "Still not a badass."

"I'm not trying to be a badass, loser," I stuck out my tongue to him.

"Ouch," he faked a hurt expression while I cracked a smile.

"Where's Smith anyway?" Smith is our English teacher and we just call her Smith behind her back because she's like the worst teacher ever, and it's her surname.

"She's with Ms. Cherry. Where have you been during lunchtime?" Glenn spoke from behind Leroy, looking pretty serious.

"I-I was with Ms. Kate," and the lie continues. Glenn reminds me of Mr. Ward, and the thought of him being his cousin and him mentioning Glenn earlier is making me feel the need to be nicer to Glenn. I don't know but it seems to have that effect on me.

Glenn seems to be of doubt but he let it go anyway. "Uhuh, hey bro, wanna check out the new arcade at the mall? I heard there's an Open Floor installed there," he turned to Leroy.

"Cool, but I gotta head home first because..."

Their talk continued while I turned around and brought out my phone from my pocket, suddenly eager to play 2FUSE.  I didn't get to finish a game because a teacher entered the room and I had to shove it in my bag quickly before he sees me using it during class hours.