Chapter 40

I walked off. What was I to do? I mean, the hunters and shifters hated each other!

"Now think. You're a kid in modern day America."

"So...?"

"Many wars have been fought, and there's sure to have been one that's been resolved peacefully. Pretty much all of them have been. But where, oh where will you find this information? That's right, the internet."

"Right," I went to get my phone out of my pocket, but then I remembered. They had taken it when the hunters had kidnapped me. Great. "And I would do that, but my phone was kind of, sort of taken by the hunters."

"Doesn't Trinity have a phone?"

"You make a good point."

I flew over to Trinity.

"Oh hi Madelyn? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, but I was wondering if I could borrow your phone?"

She took her phone out of her pocket. "It only has around ten percent. And you know how fast my phone drains."

I nodded. "I'll just have to be quick then." She handed the phone to me, and I pressed the button, turning it on.

I quickly typed 'How to resolve conflict between two groups that hate each other' and pressed search.

"Of all things, that's what you look up?"

"A bird-shifter can hope. And I'm just gonna hope that it gives me the information I need."

I scrolled through the results, only finding stuff about to resolve conflict in groups. And it looked like it was stuff for kindergarteners.

"Fine, you were right."

Next, I searched up 'Wars resolved with peace.' About then, the phone died. I felt a growl of irritation rise up in my throat, and I thrust the phone back into Trinity's hands. "Out of power." I muttered.

"What do I do now?"

"If I were back at the shifter council, around now is where we'd take some leisure time to clear our minds."

"Looks like I'm doing a little mid-morning flying."

"Take it kind of easy. You've only just been rescued from the hunters."

"I'll take it easy."

I looked at Trinity. "I'm gonna go on a bit of flying." I then took off, soaring higher. I doubted I'd ever find something as beautiful as flying; you can't beat it. I looked down to see shifters discussing stuff. From what I could see, they were focused intently on it.

"Probably on the challenge you posed."

"Probably."

"So, any ideas on what to do?'

"Sadly, no."

I thought for a moment, then sighed in frustration. It was almost like a little revolution, the shifters rising up to make a change. Kind of like what I had learned about in the fourth grade.

My mind was a blur as ideas swirled through my mind. After a while of silence, just myself thinking, I spoke to Ashlea.

"How much do you know about the American Revolution?"

"You're talking to someone who's seen it with her own eyes."

She had?! "You have?"

"I've been alive thousands of years. Of course I have."

"You're immortal?"

"All spirits are, Madelyn. From the miniscule worm, to the mighty lion, all living things have souls, and everyone's soul is immortal. Even if you're no longer tethered to the physical world, your innermost self will live on forever."

"You just had a philosophical moment there. Just saying. So, any details on how peace between the Americans and the British was formed? Like stuff we weren't taught in school?"

"You're talking to an immortal bird spirit. Of course I do. Ever heard of the eagles that called out at the begining of the first war? I was one of them. Ask away."

"Alright, cooll= little info tidbit down. So, they made a peace treaty and the british signed it after a while."

"They eventually signed it, and part of it is because it was a drain on resources. If you could drain their resources, you might have a better chance of getting a peace treaty signed."

"And what else do we do? Parade up to them and say 'Sign this treaty'?"

"No. I fear there may be some bloodshed involved in getting it signed. The American Revolution wasn't won in a day, you know."

"Now what? So, we've got the plan down, anything else?"

"Tell the shifters. i can assure you that they'll be more than happy to help."

"Even if it means an all out war?"

"Especially if it means an all out war."

THey took it better than expected, and for that I was glad. Thn, I heard ominous footsteps, and I remembered something. I still had the tracker. I was almost certain of who it was. The hunters.