Chapter 52

As I flew away, I kept stealing glances at the library. That man, even though he had tried to brain wash me, he had turned around. He had sacrificed himself for me.

"Nobody is entirely evil, Madelyn. Even if they're mostly evil, everyone has at least one little speck of good in them. The same goes for good people. It's a balance, Madelyn. Nobody is entirely good, but nobody is entirely evil, either."

"How'd he even know that I was there? And how did he manage to come in at just the right moment?" I put my hand on my forehead. "That must've taken a lot of courage."

"It must've. But sometimes, when the moment is right, that's when we find that speck of courage inside of us. Then, it can grow, causing a person to stand up to the problem, and help where it's needed."

"Have you ever experienced that?" I asked, curious.

"Many, many times. Almost everyone has felt that courage and bravery sometime in their lives, and chosen to act. A hero isn't fearless, Madelyn. A life without fear would be a very short life. But a hero has the courage to face their fears."

"Do you think that my moment will come soon?"

"I'm absolutely certain of it, Madelyn."

I glanced back at the library, appearing to grow smaller. He was probably lying there, dead or transformed into some sort of ferocious man wolf creature. I wanted to help him, since he had helped me.

"It'd make his loss all for nothing, Madelyn. You can't go back. You can't change what happened."

I looked down, then up as I made my way back to the forest. I had gotten the information up on the internet; that task had been accomplished. But that man had died. Or turned into a man beast.

"Werewolf." corrected Ashlea "They're called werewolves."

"Right. And I know that. But don't normal werewolves - the man wolf ones - lose their minds under the moon?"

"They do. Werewolves are dangerous creatures. Whenever they shift - and they can shift when they want to - it takes a large amount of willpower to keep themselves under control. I've heard it takes years to master that. So I don't know how Phred was able to do it so easily. Possibly something the scientists made."

I was nearing the forest now. I could hear soft murmurs coming from camp, and I landed. The image of the man flashed into my mind. He had saved my life, and I didn't even know his name!

Tyler walked beside me. "What's wrong. Madelyn?"

Then, I could feel a faint tug, and I realized what Tyler was doing. I formed a wall, starting to block him out. But he had gotten what had happened.