Chapter Two

I usually know why my teacher is angry at me, but this time I don't have a clue. I turned all my assignments in, I'm here on time, and I'm getting my stuff ready quietly. I don't know what I could be doing wrong this time. Of course, knowing Mrs. Avernol is could just be my presence that she's upset about. Not like that would surprise me.

I go and put my stuff in my assigned seating and stay standing. We're taught to stand when we're unsure of what a teacher wants from us; it's to show them respect or something along those lines. I stare at her as she stares at me with her dark brown eyes. I sometimes think because of her, that older people are really mean, but I know some older people like my grandma, and she's fantastic. Maybe some people in the world just aren't expected to be kindhearted. I wonder if she's a mean teacher but a perfect person outside of school. We do this for a few minutes as I'm waiting for her to tell me what I did wrong and why I should feel ashamed again. Most of the time that she's angry at me it's for stupid reasons, like one of my test answers had four fewer words than forty-five and that's why it was wrong. I bet that's what's wrong now too.

"Come here, Miss. Norwood, I have a question to ask you." My teacher Mrs. Avernol growls, finally breaking the awkward silence we both created by staring at one another. I walk down the stairs that separate the left row from the middle row and stand in front of my teacher motionless; just like they teach us to be when our teacher orders us to do something in preschool. I look at all of her wrinkles to find out that there are so many I lose count after ten. "I need you to answer this question for me." She says looking me straight in the eyes to intimidate me. She's the strictest teacher and lucky for me I have her for the rest of this year. I've had her from the beginning. She totally hates my guts because I'm so good in her class. At the beginning of the year, I used to raise my hand for every question, but now I just stay quiet, let others answer, and take notes.

"Yes, Ma'am?" I said nervously as I'm scared of getting in trouble again. My whole life I was raised by my aunt that owns her own Aliens, and that's what got me interested in them. My aunt is a strict woman as well and always gave me harsh punishments for getting in trouble. Since my first time getting in trouble of high school, I've never gotten in trouble again because the sentence was so bad. Even though I don't live with her now, I still try to stay out of trouble. I always thought that teachers were supposed to like it if you did better than others because that's what my aunt told me from day one. I thought it also made them look like they teach well, even though I do most of my learning from home. Of course, I would totally let her have all the credit if that would make her like me.

"If an Alien gets out of containment and you're stuck with it, the cable is out, and you can't call for help what do you do? Also, the Alien doesn't know where you are but is trying very hard to find you. You find a way out but the door is locked, and once you find the key the Alien also finds you. What do you do?" Mrs. Avernol asks me. I think for a few minutes and then know the answer. This was one of our test questions a couple of weeks ago. However, the reason that she doesn't like me is because I always get everything right. Maybe I should act like I don't know the answer.

"You know... I literally have it on the tip of my tongue but... I forgot. I'm so sorry Mrs. Avernol," I lie, watching as that makes her smile. I don't know why being wrong or unknowledgeable makes her happy, but maybe I should do that more often.

"Maybe I just solved it! You know, all the other teachers think that you're so smart and that you deserve so many rewards for your hard work, but for once! Oh, but for once you don't have the answer!" She says, acting like she's heart struck. I just watch her and nod, pretending like I feel stupid now for not knowing that answer. Which was: you stay still because Aliens have poor eyesight and will lose track of you. Then, throw the most substantial thing you can carry and throw long distance to distract it. After that, unlock the door and make sure to lock it back up in case it realizes what you just did.

"Yeah, I literally had it on the tip of my tongue, but then it just slipped my mind. I must've had a brain fart or something." I lie, making her laugh at my loss.

"Oh, well, hopefully, that doesn't happen on the test," she replies, actually being kind to me for once. Wow. I didn't know that was possible. I have to tell Ruby.

"Do you mind if I go to the restroom really quick?" I ask, making her shoo her hand to me.

"Whatever you want dear, you've just made my day," she says, making me smile and then walk out of the room. To make sure that I don't get caught with my phone out, I go to the abandoned girls' bathroom, going into the middle stall, shutting the door before I take out my phone and text Ruby about what happened.

I look around, listening to see if anyone is nearby to make sure that I don't get caught with my phone out. I don't want to get my phone taken away. I then look back down at my phone, hoping that Ruby will hurry up and text me back. Before she can respond, the entrance to the bathroom opens, and then my stall door does as well. At first, I thought that it was a teacher, but when I looked down at it, I realized that it was way worse than any teacher.